This delicious Chicken and Mushroom Puff Pastry Cake is a delicious dish that combines the savory flavors of tender chicken and earthy mushrooms, encased in a buttery puff pastry. This recipe is perfect for a comforting meal and makes for a delicious experience for all non-Muslims. With its irresistible aroma and irresistible taste, it promises to delight your taste buds with every bite. Serve it as a delicious main course or as a delicious appetizer and let the flavors of this pork-infused delight take you on a culinary journey like no other.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 8 slices smoked bacon, cut into large pieces
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 250g pack of young mushrooms
- a handful of thyme sprigs
- 2 tbsp flour
- 400 ml chicken broth
- 200 ml milk
- 500g pack of fresh puff pastry, or frozen and thawed
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan.
- Season the chicken and fry until golden brown, 5-8 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to do this in two batches.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the bacon to the pan.
- Fry for 5 minutes until crispy.
- Add the onions, mushrooms and thyme and fry over high heat for another 3 minutes until the onions begin to color.
- Add the flour to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- With the pan off the heat, gradually stir or whisk in the broth, followed by the milk, then return the chicken to the pan.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place the filling in a large cake or baking dish (approx. 20 x 30 cm) with a rim and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough out to the thickness of two £1 coins.
- Cut a long strip the width of the edge of the cake tin and attach it to the edge of the cake tin with a little egg.
- Brush with egg, then use the rolling pin to lift the remaining dough over the cake.
- Gently press the edges with your fingers and trim them with a sharp knife.
- Brush lightly with egg to glaze, then bake for 30 minutes or until risen and dark golden brown.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this chicken and mushroom puff pastry pie recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
- Baking dish or cake pan
- Pastry brush
Please note the following allergen information for this recipe:
- Contains milk
- May contain wheat (if using store-bought puff pastry, check label for allergen information)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They should be consumed within 2-3 days. To reheat, place the cake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Alternatively, you can freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Be sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or foil before placing it in the freezer. To thaw and reheat the cake, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then follow the reheating instructions above.
Health Benefits of Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie
The traditional dish Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie not only satisfies comfort food cravings but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key ingredients and their nutritional properties:
Chicken is a commonly consumed lean meat that serves as a good source of high-quality protein. It is low in saturated fat and provides essential amino acids necessary for muscle growth and repair. In addition, chicken contains various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B6, which supports brain development and function, and selenium, which supports the immune system.
Mushrooms are not only delicious but also add to the nutritional value of this cake. They are low in calories and rich in several important nutrients. Mushrooms are a good source of antioxidants such as selenium and vitamin C, which protect the body from cell damage caused by harmful free radicals. They also contain fiber, which supports digestive health, and potassium, which is essential for maintaining proper heart function.
Adding thyme sprigs to this recipe not only enhances the flavor but also offers potential health benefits. Thyme is rich in vitamins C and A, both of which contribute to a healthy immune system and good vision. It also contains several compounds with antimicrobial properties that can help fight infections and support overall wellness.
While puff pastry is not as nutrient-dense as the other ingredients in this recipe, it can still be enjoyed as part of a balanced diet. It provides carbohydrates, which serve as the body’s main source of energy. However, due to its high fat and calorie content, it is important to consume puff pastry in moderation.
By incorporating Chicken & Mushroom Puff Pie into your diet, you can enjoy a comforting and filling dish while benefiting from the nutritional value of the ingredients. It is always recommended to pair this cake with a generous portion of vegetables or a fresh salad for a well-rounded and nutritious meal.