Add a splash of Prosecco to this rich sauce to intensify the flavor. The subtle bubbles of this Italian sparkling wine add a delicious touch to the traditional mushroom sauce. Whether you’re planning a celebratory feast or an intimate dinner party, this prepared Prosecco and wild mushroom sauce is sure to impress your guests.
Save yourself the stress of cooking by making this delicious sauce in advance. If you prepare it in advance, you will have more time with your loved ones and less time in the kitchen on the day of your event. Simply reheat and serve when ready to allow the flavors to blend even further and create a deliciously smooth and delicious sauce.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 500g chicken wings, cut into pieces (you can also have your butcher do this)
- Turkey backbone and neck, chopped into pieces
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into small pieces
- 2 celery sticks, cut into small pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- small bunch of thyme
- 30g dried porcini mushrooms
- Pinch of golden powdered sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 250 ml Prosecco, plus a splash (optional)
- 2l chicken broth (preferably fresh)
- Squeeze of lemon
- Heat the oil in a large shallow pot or ovenproof baking dish.
- When shimmering, add the wings and turkey pieces and fry well in the oil for a good 20 minutes – sticky bits of meat in the pan will add extra flavor.
- Add the vegetables, herbs and porcini mushrooms, sprinkle over the sugar and stir everything in.
- Reduce the heat and sauté the vegetables for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the flour, then add the Prosecco and simmer to form a paste.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Skim off any foam with a ladle and simmer for 30 minutes until thickened and reduced by about a third.
- Season with salt and stir in a squeeze of lemon.
- Allow to cool slightly, then strain through a sieve into a container and refrigerate.
- Can be made three days in advance or frozen for up to three months.
- On that day, simply warm it up or pour it into the turkey roasting pan and warm it up with the pan juices.
- If you’re not serving it to children, you can finish it off with a shot of Prosecco just before serving if you like.
Equipment and tools
– Large pot or casserole dish
– Wooden spoon or spatula
– Measuring spoons and cups
– Sieve or cheesecloth
– Serving bowls or gravy boats
– This recipe contains gluten. If you have a gluten intolerance or allergy, you should consider using a gluten-free flour.
– It also contains chicken and turkey and is therefore not suitable for people with poultry allergies or vegetarians/vegans.
Storage and leftovers
– Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
– Reheat the sauce in a saucepan over low heat. If it gets too thick, add a splash of chicken stock or water and stir until smooth.
– You can also freeze the sauce in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Make-Ahead Prosecco and Wild Mushroom Sauce
Gravy is a staple in many households and adds flavor and richness to various dishes. This Make-ahead Prosecco & Wild Mushroom Gravy recipe not only improves the taste of your meals but also brings several health benefits. Let’s explore some of the benefits that can come from the ingredients of this delicious sauce:
1. Chicken wings
Chicken wings are a good source of lean protein. They provide essential amino acids required for muscle growth, muscle repair and overall development. Protein-rich foods like chicken wings can also promote satiety by keeping you full longer and reducing the urge to overeat.
2. Backbone and neck of Türkiye
The backbone and neck of the turkey contribute to the rich flavor of the gravy. These parts contain connective tissue, which is a great source of collagen. Collagen is known for its benefits on skin health, joint function and gut integrity. Incorporating it into your sauce can help you reap these benefits.
Onions contain antioxidants and compounds with potential anti-inflammatory properties. They are also a good source of fiber and contain prebiotics that support a healthy gut. Including onions in your sauce can boost your immune system and improve digestion.
Carrots are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber. They are an excellent source of beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is crucial for maintaining healthy vision, promoting immune function and supporting skin health.
Celery is incredibly low in calories but packed with essential nutrients. It is a good source of vitamins A, K and C as well as fiber. Additionally, celery contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that may help reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
Thyme is an aromatic herb that not only adds flavor to the sauce but also provides various health benefits. It contains essential oils and compounds with antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Thyme can also support respiratory health and strengthen the immune system.
7. Dried porcini mushrooms
Dried porcini mushrooms are a rich source of essential minerals such as copper, potassium and selenium. They also contain fiber and antioxidants, which help protect against cell damage and oxidative stress. These mushrooms add a meaty, umami flavor to the sauce, improving its flavor and nutritional value.
Prosecco, an Italian sparkling wine, offers more than just a pleasant taste. In moderation, it can contribute to heart health due to its polyphenol content. Polyphenols are plant compounds with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
9. Chicken broth
Chicken broth is a flavorful base for sauces and soups. It provides important nutrients including collagen, gelatin and amino acids. These components support joint and intestinal health and can even help improve skin elasticity.
Adding a pinch of lemon to the sauce not only improves the flavor but also provides a good amount of vitamin C. Vitamin C is important for a strong immune system, collagen synthesis and antioxidant protection.
By incorporating these ingredients into your Make-ahead Prosecco & Wild Mushroom Gravy, you can enjoy a delicious meal while nourishing your body with numerous health benefits.