Treat yourself to the delicious treat of our praline meringue cake with strawberries! This exquisite dessert consists of a delicious caramel flavored praline meringue that will take your taste buds to heaven. With its delicate crunch and airy texture, every bite is a pleasure experience. Generously topped with juicy, fresh strawberries, this cake is an absolute eye-catcher, especially on warm summer days. Whether you’re hosting a special occasion or simply treating yourself, this delicious creation is sure to impress and satisfy your sweet cravings. Be enchanted by the harmonious combination of flavors and textures in each piece!
- 175g whole almonds, roasted
- 225g golden powdered sugar
- 225g light muscovado sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1kg strawberry, peeled and halved, or quartered if large
- 586 ml powdered sugar, plus a little sugar for decoration
- 586g pot of double cream
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas 1 and line two flat baking trays with baking paper.
- Grind about two thirds of the roasted almonds in a food processor. Don’t let them look greasy or clump together – they should still be in chunks and not ground. Roughly chop the remaining third with a knife.
- Mix the sugar.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until stiff, then add the sugar in three batches, beating the mixture again until stiff after each addition.
- Add the cornstarch and vinegar and continue stirring until the meringue is glossy and stiff enough that the beaters feel heavy when stirring – this can take up to 5 minutes.
- Quickly fold in all the finely chopped nuts and most of the coarsely chopped nuts with a spatula and then distribute the mixture between the two baking trays.
- Distribute both in 20 cm circles and then sprinkle the remaining chopped nuts on top.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn off the oven and let the meringues cool for at least 1 hour. Keep the oven door closed (this will help prevent cracking). Can be stored in an airtight container overnight or frozen wrapped in plastic wrap for up to a month.
- For the strawberry sauce, puree 600 g strawberries in a food processor or blender. Press through a sieve to remove the seeds, then sweeten with 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar. Can be prepared up to 1 day in advance.
- Sift the remaining powdered sugar into the cream, whip until it just holds its shape, then carefully stir in two-thirds of the sauce.
- To serve, slide one of the meringues from the baking paper onto a serving plate and spread half of the cream on top.
- Place the second meringue on top, spread the remaining cream on top and top with the remaining strawberries.
- Dust with a little more powdered sugar if desired and serve with the leftover strawberry sauce.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
- parchment paper
This praline meringue cake contains almonds and eggs.
Storage and leftovers
Once prepared, store the praline meringue cake in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
The health benefits of praline meringue cake with strawberries
The praline meringue cake with strawberries is not only a delicious dessert but also offers several health benefits due to its ingredients.
Almonds, the main ingredient of the praline used in this cake, offer numerous nutritional benefits. They are an excellent source of healthy fats, proteins, fiber and various important vitamins and minerals. Almonds have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease, improving cholesterol levels, and promoting weight management.
Strawberries, an important ingredient in this cake, contribute to both taste and health. They are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Strawberries have been linked to improved heart health, reduced inflammation, better brain function and a strengthened immune system. They also provide a good amount of fiber and are low in calories, making them a nutritious addition to any diet.
3. Egg white
Egg whites are used for the light and airy meringue layers of this cake. They are high in protein and low in calories, making them an excellent choice for anyone looking for a healthy dessert. Protein is also a good source of essential amino acids and provides important nutrients such as selenium, vitamin D and B vitamins.
4. White wine vinegar
White wine vinegar is used in the meringue mixture, which gives the cake a tangy taste. Additionally, vinegar has been linked to various health benefits, including improved blood sugar control, weight control, and improved digestive health. It may also have antimicrobial properties and help reduce oxidative stress in the body.
5. Double cream
Although double cream is not considered a healthy food due to its high fat content, it can still be enjoyed in moderation. Consuming small amounts of full-fat dairy products like double cream can provide important vitamins, minerals and healthy fats. It can also contribute to a feeling of satisfaction, allowing for better portion control and reduced cravings for unhealthy sweets.
Overall, the praline meringue cake with strawberries offers a combination of enjoyment and health benefits. By using healthy ingredients such as almonds, strawberries and egg whites, this dessert can be enjoyed guilt-free as it provides nutrients in addition to the delicious taste.