Treat yourself to a delicious relaxed brunch with our irresistible Potato Dill Pancakes with Gravadlax recipe. These fluffy blini-style potato cakes will delight your taste buds when paired with a Scandinavian-inspired smoked fish salad. The light, airy texture of the pancakes perfectly complements the smoky richness of the Gravadlax, creating a harmonious blend of flavors. Whether you’re hosting a luxurious brunch or simply treating yourself to a special meal, this dish is sure to impress. Upgrade your brunch with these delicious pancakes that put a unique twist on a classic.
- 1 medium potato (approx. 250 g/10 oz), whole, unpeeled
- 140g/5oz plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- oil for frying
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 200 ml milk
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- Pinch of powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp chopped dill, plus more for serving
- 2 x 145g packs of Gravadlax
- Cook the potato whole until soft but not fully cooked, about 12 minutes.
- Cool the potato under cold water and then grate it with the peel. You need 150g grated potatoes.
- Place the flour with a pinch of salt in a large bowl and beat in the eggs. Stir until there are no lumps.
- Gradually add the milk to the flour and egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the grated potato, dill and baking powder to the mixture and mix well.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan and heat 2 tablespoons of dough at a time.
- If you see small bubbles on the top of the pancakes, flip them over and cook on the other side for about 1 minute.
- Keep the finished pancakes warm while you bake the remaining batter.
- In the meantime, mix the salad ingredients together.
- Serve the pancakes with Gravadlax and the mixed salad.
Equipment and tools
- Medium sized pot
- mixing bowl
- frying pan
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (found in regular flour)
- Dairy products (found in milk)
Please note that this recipe may also come into contact with other allergens depending on the brand or variety of Gravadlax used.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover pancakes can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply place the pancakes in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 5 minutes or until warmed through.
Gravadlax can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Place it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap to keep it fresh.
Please note that the quality and taste of the Gravadlax may deteriorate after a few days. It is therefore best to consume it within the recommended storage time.
Health Benefits of Potato Dill Pancakes with Gravadlax
Potato Dill Pancakes with Gravadlax are a delicious and flavorful dish that combines the earthy flavors of potatoes and dill with the smoky and savory taste of Gravadlax. This dish is not only a delight for the taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits of this delicious recipe.
1. Nutritious potatoes
The main ingredient in these pancakes, potatoes, is a nutrient-dense vegetable. Potatoes are an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, potassium and vitamin B6. They are also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
2. Protein-rich Gravadlax
Gravadlax, a Scandinavian delicacy made from cured salmon, adds a dose of protein to this dish. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and supporting muscle growth and development. Including protein-rich foods like Gravadlax in your diet can help you feel full and satisfied for longer.
3. Nutrient-rich dill
The addition of dill not only gives the dish a refreshing and aromatic taste but also brings several health benefits. Dill is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C and several minerals such as calcium and manganese. It is also known for its antioxidant properties, which help protect against cell damage caused by harmful free radicals.
4. Cucumber for hydration
The sliced cucumber in this recipe adds a cool, crunchy touch. Cucumbers are over 90% water, making them an excellent moisturizer choice. Adequate hydration is critical to maintaining optimal body functions and promoting healthy skin.
5. Nutty and high-fiber poppy seeds
The inclusion of poppy seeds in the topping provides a nutty flavor and a slight crunch. Poppy seeds are a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps regulate blood sugar levels. They are also rich in essential minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium.
Overall, the combination of these ingredients in the Potato Dill Pancakes with Gravadlax recipe offers a range of health benefits, from providing essential nutrients and aiding digestion to supporting protein absorption and hydration. So next time you make this dish, you can enjoy it knowing that it not only tastes delicious but is also good for your health!