Get inspired by your favorite pub lunch with these delicious Plowman’s sausage rolls. Made with tender, juicy sausages wrapped in golden puff pastry, they’re a guaranteed crowd pleaser. Whether you’re planning a picnic in the park or hosting a party, these sausage rolls are an absolute must. With their irresistible taste and satisfying texture, they’ll leave everyone wanting more. Plus, they’re incredibly easy to make, meaning you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time enjoying these delicious treats. Get ready to impress your guests with these irresistible plow sausage rolls!
- 8 caramelized onion sausages
- 5 pickled onions, finely chopped
- 50g Stilton, crumbled
- 3 tbsp pickled cucumbers (preferably in small pieces)
- 100g extra mature cheddar, grated
- Flour for dusting
- 500g block of puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ tsp celery salt
- English mustard for serving
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Press the sausage meat from the shell into a bowl.
- Add the onions, Stilton, cucumber and most of the cheddar, reserving a small handful.
- Mix until well combined.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface.
- Roll out the dough into a 30 x 40 cm rectangle.
- Pat the sausage meat into a log shape that sits in the center and down the entire length of the dough rectangle.
- The sausage meat should be about 5 cm thick.
- Brush one of the long sides of the dough with a little beaten egg.
- Fold the other side over to encase the sausage.
- Fold the egg-washed side over and press lightly to seal.
- Trim off the excess dough – the overlap should be about 3cm.
- Carefully flip the sausage roll over so the seal is on the bottom.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut into 4cm wide pieces.
- Arrange the pieces on the baking sheet (there should be about 10).
- The rolls can now be frozen on the tray.
- Once solid, transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze for up to three months.
- Defrost, then cook as directed below, adding another 5 minutes.
- Brush with remaining beaten egg.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and celery salt on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and cooked through.
- Allow to cool on tray for 10-15 minutes before serving warm with English mustard for dunking.
Equipment and tools
- baking tray
- Parchment paper or silicone baking mat
- Pastry brush
- rolling pin
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (cheese)
- Wheat flour)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Plowman’s Sausage Rolls, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (180°C) for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Plowman’s Sausage Rolls
Sausage rolls are a popular snack or light meal that people of all ages can enjoy. An interesting twist on this classic dish are Plowman’s sausage rolls, which contain additional ingredients to enhance both the flavor and nutritional value of the rolls. In this article, we’ll explore some of the health benefits associated with the ingredients used in Plowman’s Sausage Rolls.
Caramelized Onion Sausages
Using caramelized onion sausages in Plowman’s sausage rolls adds a special flavor twist to the dish. These sausages are typically made from leaner cuts of meat and may contain a lower percentage of fat compared to traditional sausages. Additionally, onions are a good source of fiber, antioxidants, and various vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C and potassium.
Finely chopped pickled onions enhance the flavor and texture of Plowman’s sausage rolls. Pickled onions are rich in essential nutrients such as fiber, vitamin C and antioxidants. They can also act as a probiotic and support a healthy gut by encouraging the growth of beneficial bacteria in the digestive system.
The crumbled Stilton cheese in Plowman’s sausage roll provides a creamy and savory taste. Stilton cheese is a type of blue cheese that is rich in calcium, protein and vitamin B12. Although this cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat content, it can provide a good dose of essential nutrients when enjoyed occasionally.
The pickles used in Plowman’s sausage rolls give the rolls a spicy touch and savory taste. Pickled cucumbers are low in calories and fat, but can add a special flavor due to the vinegar brine used in their preparation. Additionally, cucumbers are a source of antioxidants and can aid digestion when consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Extra mature cheddar
The grated, extra-aged cheddar cheese in Plowman’s Sausage Roll provides a rich and sharp flavor. Cheddar cheese is a good source of calcium, protein and vitamin A. It also contains beneficial fatty acids, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), which has been linked to potential health benefits such as improved heart health.
Taken together, the ingredients used in Plowman’s Sausage Rolls provide a balance of flavor and some potential health benefits. As with any meal, moderation is key, but enjoying these sausage rolls occasionally can be a tasty and filling meal.