Put a fresh twist on a picnic classic with these delicious cheese and tomato rolls. These Pflueger Cheese and Tomato Pockets are made from buttery puff pastry and filled with creamy cheese and juicy, sun-ripened tomatoes. The combination of tangy cheese and sweet tomatoes creates a taste explosion with every bite. These portable treats are perfect for picnics, lunch boxes or just as a snack. Treat yourself to these savory delicacies that are easy to prepare and guaranteed to be a hit with everyone.
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 25g butter
- 500g strong grain flour (we used Dove’s Farm Malthouse) plus some flour for rolling
- 7 g bag of rapid yeast
- some oil for the bowl
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 200 g strong cheese, e.g. B. extra-mature cheddar, grated
- 225g cherry tomatoes, halved
Pack some apples,
thick sliced ham,
Cucumbers and chutney
for a portable device
Tiller. A pot full
coleslaw or pork
Cake didn’t work
- Place milk and butter in a small saucepan and heat gently until the butter melts. Let sit for 5 minutes or until milk is just warm to the touch.
- In the meantime, mix together the flour, yeast and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Mix the wet ingredient with the dry, then let it stand for 10 minutes to allow the liquid to work on the flour – so you don’t have to knead it for a long time later.
- After 10 minutes, place the dough on a floured work surface and knead briefly until it is elastic and smooth.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film and let rise for 40 minutes until doubled in size.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface into a rectangle about 40 cm wide and 30 cm high.
- Spread the mustard over the dough and then spread two-thirds of the cheese evenly over it.
- Fold the top third of the dough down and then the bottom third up, creating a sort of long, thin envelope.
- Cover with a tea towel and let rise for another 30 minutes until tender.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Trim the ends and then cut the dough into 6 equal slices.
- Transfer to a floured baking sheet, cut sides down.
- Fold the bottom edges down a little so that the filling doesn’t leak out underneath and the top opens like a handbag.
- Slide the tomatoes and remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the cheese is dark golden brown and bubbling.
- Store in an airtight container for 2 days.
Equipment and tools
To prepare Plowman’s cheese and tomato pockets you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- mixing bowl
- Sharp knife
Please note the following allergen information for Plowman’s Cheese and Tomato Bags:
Allergens: Contains milk and wheat.
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and handling leftover Plowman’s cheese and tomato bags:
- Store uneaten bags in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Reheat leftovers in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for a few minutes until heated through.
- Note that the texture of the bags may change slightly after cooling.
Health Benefits of Plowman’s Cheese & Tomato Pockets
The Plowman’s Cheese & Tomato Pockets recipe not only offers a delicious and hearty meal, but also several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients.
1. Partially skimmed milk
One of the main ingredients in this recipe is semi-skimmed milk. It is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth. In addition, it contains protein, vitamin B12 and vitamin D.
Butter adds richness and flavor to the pockets. However, due to its high saturated fat content, it should be consumed in moderation. Small amounts of butter can be part of a balanced diet.
3. Strong granary flour
Using strong grain flour adds fiber and nutrients to the bags. Whole wheat flour is a healthier choice compared to refined flour as it contains bran and germ, which are rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals.
This recipe uses rapid-release yeast to help the pockets rise and become fluffier. Yeast is a valuable source of B vitamins, including thiamine, riboflavin and niacin, which are important for energy production and nervous system health.
5. Whole grain mustard
The addition of whole grain mustard not only enhances the taste but also provides health benefits. Mustard seeds are rich in antioxidants and can aid digestion. They also contain minerals such as selenium and magnesium.
6. Strong cheese
The strong cheese used in this recipe, such as: B. extra-mature cheddar ensures a rich and spicy taste. Cheese is a good source of protein and calcium. However, due to its high saturated fat and salt content, it should be consumed in moderation.
7. Cherry tomato
Cherry tomatoes add a touch of sweetness and freshness to the bags. They are low in calories and high in antioxidants, including lycopene, which has positive effects on heart health and may reduce the risk of certain cancers.
8. Additional serving suggestions
When serving the Plowman’s Cheese & Tomato Pockets, we recommend adding sliced apples, thick-cut ham, cucumbers and chutney. These side dishes add additional flavors and textures to the meal. For a more traditional plow experience, coleslaw and pork pie are also recommended.
In summary, the Plowman’s Cheese & Tomato Pockets recipe provides a balance of flavors and textures while providing various health benefits. Enjoy this delicious and nutritious meal!