Looking for a crowd favorite? You have found it! These irresistible pizza pockets are the ultimate finger food that everyone will love. Whether you’re hosting a party or just looking for a quick and easy snack, these pastries won’t disappoint.
If you prefer a vegetarian option, that’s no problem! Simply omit the pepperoni and replace it with a pinch of chili flakes to add a delicious heat. This simple modification ensures that even non-meat eaters can enjoy these delicious bites. Bake a batch of these flavorful pizza pockets and get ready to impress your guests!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 400 g can of plum tomatoes, drained and mashed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 x 320g sheets of ready-rolled shortcrust pastry
- 250g grated mozzarella
- 80g pepperoni, chopped
- 160g pack of stuffed green olives, halved
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the garlic and oregano and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato puree and cook over high heat until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough, quarter each sheet and arrange on two baking sheets.
- Spread some tomato sauce over half of each quarter, leaving about a 1/2-inch border.
- Top with the cheese, followed by pepperoni and olives (this will prevent the cheese from sticking to the top of the dough as it melts).
- Brush the edges with egg, fold the open dough half over it, and press the edges with a fork to seal.
- If you have time, leave the bags in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to firm up.
- Before baking, make a hole in the top of the pockets and brush them with a little more egg.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Equipment and tools
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (mozzarella)
- Wheat (shortcrust pastry)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover pizza pockets in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Heat them in the oven or microwave before eating.
Health Benefits of Pizza Pockets
Pizza pockets are a delicious and convenient snack that people of all ages can enjoy. Although they may seem indulgent, this delicious dish actually offers several health benefits. In this section, we’ll explore some of the key ingredients for making pizza pockets and highlight their potential health benefits.
One of the main ingredients in pizza pockets is garlic. Garlic not only adds flavor to any dish, but also offers numerous health benefits. It contains compounds that may help improve heart health, lower blood pressure, and reduce the risk of certain cancers. Consuming garlic is also associated with boosting the immune system, reducing inflammation, and improving digestion.
The tomato-based sauce used in pizza pockets offers numerous health benefits. Tomatoes are rich in essential nutrients such as vitamins A, C and K, as well as antioxidants such as lycopene. Lycopene has been linked to a reduced risk of certain cancers, including prostate and lung cancer. Tomatoes are also known to support heart health and promote healthy skin.
The addition of mozzarella cheese not only gives pizza pockets a creamy and delicious taste, but is also a good source of calcium and protein. Calcium plays a crucial role in maintaining strong bones and teeth, while protein is essential for muscle growth and repair. However, due to its high calorie and saturated fat content, it is important to consume mozzarella in moderation.
Although pepperoni is considered a less healthy ingredient in pizza pockets, it can still provide some nutritional benefits. It is a good source of protein and provides important vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B12 and zinc. However, because it is high in sodium and saturated fat, it is recommended to consume pepperoni in moderation or opt for healthier alternatives such as lean chicken or vegetables.
The presence of green olives in pizza pockets contributes to a unique taste and provides various health benefits. Olives are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, which contribute to heart health and can reduce inflammation in the body. They also contain antioxidants and vitamin E, which promote overall well-being.
If you use the above ingredients in moderation and practice portion control, you can enjoy pizza pockets as a delicious snack without putting your health at risk. Remember that a balanced diet and regular exercise are also essential for overall well-being.