Are you ready to ignite your taste buds? Introducing the irresistible Piri Piri shrimp! Get ready for a taste explosion that will leave you wanting more. These succulent shrimp are guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser at your next gathering. Your fiery marinade combined with tender, juicy shrimp creates a culinary masterpiece. Be careful, however, as their irresistible scent will captivate anyone and it is therefore important to plan for extras. The sheer deliciousness of these shrimp may leave you with sticky fingers. So make sure you have a finger bowl ready to ensure a satisfying, mess-free experience. Prepare for a spice trip that will have everyone coming back for a second!
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chili peppers, deseeded and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- 18 large fresh shrimps in their shells (if possible with the head on)
- Mint relish (see “Goes well with”)
Cooking shrimp in the shell makes anything possible
Difference in their taste, but they must be peeled
is messy – so provide finger bowls too.
1. Mix oil, garlic, chili, salt and paprika in a bowl.
2. Toss the shrimp in the mixture.
3. Place the shrimp in the refrigerator and marinate for up to 1 day.
4. If using a grill, preheat to medium-high heat.
5. Cook the shrimp individually or thread 3 of them onto skewers for portion sizes.
6. Place the shrimp on the grill and let them cook for a few minutes on each side.
7. Keep an eye on the shrimp and remove them from the grill when they change color from gray to pink.
8. Prepare the mint relish and serve it in small pots with the shrimp.
9. Provide warm finger bowls with lime slices for guests to clean their hands.
10. Provide napkins for guests to use when eating the shrimp.
11. Provide a separate bowl for guests to discard the shrimp shells.
Equipment and tools
- Large frying pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply heat them in a frying pan until heated through.
Health Benefits of Piri Piri Shrimp
Piri piri prawns, a delicious and flavorful dish, not only satisfy the taste buds but also provide several health benefits. Packed with nutrients and spices, these shrimp are a great addition to a balanced diet. Here are some health benefits of enjoying this delicious dish:
1. Rich in protein
One of the key health benefits of piri piri shrimp is its high protein content. Shrimp are an excellent source of lean protein, which is essential for muscle growth, repair, and overall development of the body. Adding these shrimps to your diet can help you meet your daily protein requirements.
2. Source of Omega-3 fatty acids
Piri piri shrimp are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids. These healthy fats play a crucial role in maintaining heart health, improving brain function, and reducing inflammation in the body. Omega-3 fatty acids are also known to support healthy skin and promote eye health.
3. Low calorie
If you’re watching your calorie intake, piri piri shrimp is a good choice. Since only 4 tablespoons of sunflower oil are used to cook the shrimp, this dish is low in calories compared to other fried or deep-fried dishes. It allows you to satisfy your cravings without compromising your calorie goals.
4. Contains antioxidants
Paprika, one of the ingredients used in this recipe, is a rich source of antioxidants. These compounds help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Eating foods that contain antioxidants like peppers can potentially reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and certain cancers.
5. Provides Vitamin C
Adding red chili peppers to piri piri shrimp gives your meal a vitamin C kick. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient that supports a healthy immune system, improves iron absorption, and supports collagen production for healthy skin.
In summary, Piri Piri shrimp not only offers a taste explosion but also brings several health benefits. Whether as a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids or for their antioxidant and vitamin C content, adding these shrimp to your diet can be a great way to boost your overall well-being.