Enjoy the fiery flavors of piri piri chicken marinated in a zesty lime sauce, perfect for adding a spicy kick to juicy thighs and legs. Let this aromatic mixture infuse and create a tantalizingly aromatic dish. Once it’s perfectly roasted, savor every bite as the tender meat melts in your mouth. Complement this delicious entrée with a generous helping of pepper rice to enjoy the rich, smoky flavors. Discover a pocket-friendly and nutritious dinner that will leave you wanting more and ensure a delicious dining experience.
- about 4 skin-on chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks – buy a mixed pack
- 6 tbsp piri-piri marinade (you can buy mild, medium or hot)
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 peppers, any color, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ bunch of spring onions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp sweet smoked paprika
- 250g cooked rice
- Vegetables or salad for serving (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Cut each piece of chicken three times to allow the marinade to give the meat its full flavor.
- Pour the sauce over the top and let it marinate in the fridge if you have time. If not, mix well and arrange in a roasting tin, skin side up.
- Cook for 30 minutes, then increase the heat to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7 and cook for a further 15 minutes or so, until the skin is crispy and golden brown.
- When the chicken is almost done, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Cook the peppers and white parts of the spring onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the puree and peppers, stir, then add the rice and break it up with a wooden spoon so that all the grains are well coated.
- Use high heat and scrape off anything stuck to the bottom, leaving some soft bits and some crispy bits.
- Heat until piping hot.
- Scatter the green parts of the spring onion over the top and serve with the chicken and some vegetables or salad if you like.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Tongs or spatula
- Aluminum foil (optional)
- cutting board
- frying pan
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe may contain allergens. Please note the following:
- sunflower oil
If you have a known allergy, please be careful and check the labels of the ingredients you use.
Storage and leftovers
After preparing the dish, there may be leftovers. Here are some storage guidelines:
- Allow the leftover chicken and rice to cool before storing.
- Place chicken and rice in separate airtight containers.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Heat chicken and rice thoroughly before eating.
Do not freeze the dish as this may affect the texture and taste.
Health Benefits of Piri Piri Chicken with Spicy Rice
The popular dish “Piri Piri Chicken with Spicy Rice” not only pampers your taste buds with its bold flavors, but also offers numerous health benefits. From lean protein to various vitamins and minerals, this delicious dish can contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of its key ingredients:
Chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks
This recipe contains chicken thighs and skin-on chicken drumsticks, which are a good source of lean protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, strengthening the immune system, and supporting muscle growth and maintenance.
The piri-piri marinade gives the chicken a special flavor and also offers some health benefits. It typically contains ingredients such as chili peppers, garlic, lemon juice and spices. Chili peppers, commonly found in piri piri marinades, are known to boost metabolism and may help with weight control. They also contain capsaicin, which has anti-inflammatory properties and can relieve pain.
Using sunflower oil in this recipe adds a healthy fat component. Sunflower oil is rich in vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and helps protect cells from damage. It is also low in saturated fat and high in unsaturated fats, which can have positive effects on heart health.
Peppers and spring onions
Both bell peppers and scallions give this dish a nutritional boost. Bell peppers are a great source of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supports collagen production for healthy skin. Spring onions, on the other hand, provide various nutrients such as vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber that aids digestion.
Tomato puree and sweet smoked paprika
The addition of tomato puree and sweet smoked paprika not only enhances the taste of the dish, but also provides useful nutrients. Tomato puree is rich in vitamins A, C and K, as well as important antioxidants such as lycopene, which may have a protective effect against certain types of cancer. Sweet smoked paprika provides a subtle smoky flavor and is a good source of iron and other minerals.
In this recipe, cooked rice serves as a filling source of carbohydrates and energy. Brown rice, in particular, is a healthier option as it contains more fiber, essential minerals and vitamins compared to white rice.
vegetables or salad
Adding vegetables or salad to the dish provides an additional nutritional boost. Vegetables are full of vitamins, minerals and fiber that are essential for overall health and well-being.
Overall, “Piri Piri Chicken with Spicy Rice” offers a combination of flavors and nutritious ingredients that can contribute to a balanced diet. Enjoy this dish as a delicious and healthy addition to your meal repertoire!