Retro rocks. This classic pineapple upside down cake makes a great centerpiece for afternoon tea and brings back many childhood memories. This cake is baked with a moist and fluffy vanilla-infused dough and topped with caramelized brown sugar-coated pineapple rings and bright maraschino cherries for delightful visual appeal. As you savor each bite, the sweet and tangy flavors of the pineapple perfectly complement the soft sponge. Whether as a nostalgic treat or as a gift for a new generation, this pineapple upside-down cake is a wonderful reminder of simpler times and an absolute crowd-pleaser.
- 50 g soft butter
- 50g light soft brown sugar
- 7 pineapple rings in syrup, drained and syrup
- glazed cherry
- 100 g soft butter
- 100g golden powdered sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- For the topping, mix butter and sugar until creamy.
- Spread the butter-sugar mixture over the bottom and one-quarter of the sides of a 8- to 8-inch (20 to 21 cm) round cake pan.
- Arrange pineapple rings on top of the butter-sugar mixture.
- Place cherries in the middle of the pineapple rings.
- In a bowl, mix the cake ingredients with 2 tablespoons of pineapple syrup.
- Beat the mixture with an electric whisk until a soft consistency is achieved.
- Pour the cake mix into the cake pan on top of the pineapple and smooth it out to make sure it is level.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes.
- After baking, let the cake rest for 5 minutes.
- Turn the cake out onto a plate.
- Serve the pineapple cake warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Equipment and tools
To bake a pineapple upside down cake, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or whisk
- Round cake pan (8 inch diameter)
- Parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- Wire frame
This pineapple upside down cake recipe contains the following allergens:
- butter (milk)
It does not contain nuts, but please check the ingredients on your glazed cherries or pineapple rings if you have a nut allergy.
Storage and leftovers
Once your pineapple upside down cake is baked and cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can also store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
If there are any leftovers, they can be stored in the same way. To enjoy the cake again, simply place each piece in the microwave for a few seconds or warm in the oven before serving.
Health Benefits of Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Health Benefits of Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Pineapple Upside Down Cake is a delicious dessert that not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers several health benefits. This delicious treat combines the goodness of pineapple with a moist and fluffy cake, making it a delicious treat. Let’s explore the nutritious aspects of this classic dessert.
1. Rich in Vitamin C
Pineapple, the main ingredient of this cake, is a tropical fruit rich in vitamin C. A single serving of pineapple contains more than the recommended daily allowance of this essential vitamin. Vitamin C is known for its antioxidant properties, which boost the immune system, promote healthy skin and support overall well-being.
2. Digestive aid
Pineapple contains a unique enzyme called bromelain, which helps break down proteins and aids in digestion. This enzyme can help reduce bloating, inflammation, and indigestion. So when you enjoy a piece of pineapple cake, you are also giving your digestive system a gentle boost.
3. Manganese source
Pineapple is also a good source of manganese, an essential mineral that plays a crucial role in supporting various body functions. Manganese helps build strong bones, acts as an antioxidant and helps regulate metabolism. Adding pineapple to your diet through this cake will help you meet your daily manganese requirement.
4. Mood enhancer
Did you know that pineapple is associated with improving mood? This tropical fruit contains traces of an amino acid called tryptophan, which is necessary for the production of serotonin (the “feel-good hormone”). Treating yourself to a slice of pineapple upside down cake might lift your mood a bit.
In summary, pineapple upside down cake not only satisfies your dessert cravings but also offers several health benefits. A vitamin C powerhouse, aiding digestion and providing essential minerals, this cake brings more to the table than just its delicious taste. So treat yourself to this delicious dessert and enjoy the deliciousness of pineapple.
Like this? Try some of our other afternoon treats such as Raspberry Bakewell Cake or Lemon Drizzle Cake.