This nostalgic sponge cake is a wonderful trip down memory lane, reminiscent of homemade treats enjoyed on heartwarming afternoons. Perfect for any elegant tea party, it effortlessly transports you to a simpler time. The cake showcases a delicious combination of juicy pineapple and juicy cherries, providing a hint of fruity deliciousness in every bite. Let yourself be enchanted as you spread it generously with delicious jam and heavenly vanilla cream. Enjoy the soft and fluffy layers that harmonize perfectly with the sweetness of the fruit and cream, creating a truly heavenly dessert experience.
- 250g pack of butter, melted, plus a knob for greasing
- 250g golden powdered sugar, plus 2 tbsp
- 1 can of pineapple rings
- 3 glazed cherries, halved (we used red colored ones to keep it classic, but the choice is yours)
- 300g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- some powdered sugar for dusting
- 6 tbsp cherry jam
- 250 ml double cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease 2 x 20cm round cake tins and line bottoms and sides with baking paper.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons powdered sugar in the bottom of one of the tins.
- Drain the pineapple over a bowl to catch the juice.
- Pour 100 ml juice into a large mixing bowl.
- Pat 3 pineapple rings dry with kitchen paper and cut them in half horizontally.
- Arrange the pineapple rings in the sugared dish and add the glazed cherries.
- Add the melted butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla and eggs to the pineapple juice.
- Beat the mixture with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the molds – it should be liquid enough to pour over the pineapple to cover.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then turn the cakes out onto a wire rack (pineapple side up), peel off the parchment and let cool.
- Spread the jam without pineapple on the cooled sponge cake.
- Beat the cream, sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
- Pour the whipped cream over the jam.
- Carefully place the pineapple sponge on top.
- Dust with a little powdered sugar.
- Best consumed within 48 hours.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- 20cm round cake tin
- Sharp knife
- Cooling rack
- Serving plate
Contains dairy products and gluten. May contain traces of nuts.
Storage and leftovers
Store the Pineapple Cherry Upside Down Sandwich Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. Alternatively, store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To freeze, wrap the slices individually in plastic wrap and place in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
Health Benefits of Pineapple Cherry Upside Down Sandwich Cake
Pineapple and cherries not only enhance the flavor of this upside down sandwich cake, but they also provide several health benefits. Combining the natural sweetness and unique spiciness of these fruits, this cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also contributes to your overall well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of its key ingredients:
Pineapple rings form the main layer of this delicious cake and are full of important nutrients:
- Vitamin C: Pineapple is a rich source of vitamin C, an essential antioxidant that boosts the immune system and increases collagen production for healthy skin.
- Bromelain: This enzyme found in pineapple has anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve pain and swelling, aid digestion, and promote overall gut health.
- Manganese: Pineapple contains manganese, a mineral that supports bone health, regulates blood sugar levels, and acts as an antioxidant to protect cells from damage.
In addition to the decorative glazed cherries that adorn the cake, cherry jam adds flavor and brings its own set of health benefits:
- Antioxidants: Cherries are rich in antioxidants, including anthocyanins, which help reduce inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
- Phytochemicals: Tart cherries contain natural compounds that can improve sleep quality and duration, relieve muscle soreness, and support heart health.
- Potassium: With notable potassium content, cherries can help maintain proper heart function and healthy blood pressure.
In addition to the main ingredients, other components of this cake also contribute to its overall deliciousness and provide some health benefits:
- Butter: Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it provides essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins and adds a rich flavor to the cake.
- Plain flour: Using pure flour gives the cake the necessary structure while also contributing to its carbohydrate content.
- Eggs: Eggs are rich in protein and provide essential amino acids for maintaining muscle growth and repair.
- Double cream: Double cream adds a touch of indulgence and gives the finished dish a rich and creamy consistency.
By using these healthy ingredients, this Pineapple Cherry Upside Down Sandwich Cake will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide various nutrients and health benefits. So go ahead, treat yourself to a piece of this delicious cake, without feeling guilty!