Indulge in the delicious flavors of our Roasted Tomato and Pancetta Picnic Quiches! These savory treats combine the sweetness of roasted tomatoes with the richness of pancetta, creating a delicious combination that is sure to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re planning a picnic with friends or a family gathering, these quiches are the perfect addition to your menu.
Please note that this recipe contains pork and is therefore only suitable for non-Muslims. We respect and acknowledge dietary preferences and restrictions and encourage you to explore our other diverse recipes tailored to different needs. Try these delicious quiches and treat yourself to a delicious culinary experience!
- 180g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 100 g cold butter, diced
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 400g pack of cherry tomatoes on the vine
- Olive oil for drizzling
- 90g pack of thin pancetta slices
- 100g Parmesan, grated
- 3 eggs, plus 5 egg yolks (reserve some egg white for brushing)
- 250 ml double cream
- ½ small packet of basil, finely chopped
- 10 tartlet molds (each approx. 7½ cm in diameter)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Place the tomatoes in a roasting pan, drizzle with a little olive oil and season.
- Roast for 25-30 minutes until they begin to shrink and darken, then remove and allow to cool.
- Dry fry the pancetta until crispy and golden brown.
- Set aside on a plate lined with paper towels and allow to cool.
- In the meantime prepare the dough.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt a few times.
- Add the butter and mix until a fine crumb forms, about 20 seconds.
- While the processor is running, add 2-3 tablespoons ice cold water and 1 egg yolk.
- Mix until just a dough forms, but do not overwork.
- Remove the dough, form it into a ball, wrap it in cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- After resting, lightly dust the work surface with a little flour and roll out the dough into a very thin layer, about as thick as a lasagna sheet.
- Line each tartlet pan with dough by cutting a circle around a plate or bowl slightly larger than the pans.
- Press the dough into the fluted edge, letting the excess fall over the top, and run the rolling pin over the tops of the pans to trim the dough.
- Re-roll the dough scraps until you have covered all the shapes, then place them back in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Line the cake tins with baking paper and baking beans and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- As soon as the molds come out of the oven, brush them all over with egg white.
- Sprinkle half of the grated cheese on top and crumble the crispy pancetta into each tart pan.
- Spread the roasted tomatoes on top and top with the remaining cheese.
- In a jug, mix the remaining eggs, cream and some black pepper.
- Add the basil and stir again.
- Place a baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Place the quiches on the hot tray on the oven rack and carefully pour the egg mixture over the filling until the ramekins are filled.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the dough is golden brown and fluffy.
- Allow to cool and then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Can be prepared up to a day in advance.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- rolling pin
- Tart molds (each approx. 7½ cm in diameter)
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Milk (double cream)
- Wheat (plain flour)
- Dairy products (Parmesan)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the quiches in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 10 minutes or until heated through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Roasted Tomato and Pancetta Picnic Quiches
These delicious Roasted Tomato and Pancetta Picnic Quiches are not only a tempting treat for your taste buds but also offer several health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients, they not only satisfy your craving for a savory snack, but also positively contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s take a closer look at some of the health benefits you can enjoy by enjoying these flavorful quiches.
1. Tomatoes for heart health
Roasted cherry tomatoes are a key ingredient in this recipe. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that has been linked to improved heart health. Lycopene helps reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
2. Pancetta – a source of protein
Adding thin slices of pancetta not only enhances the flavor but also provides a good amount of protein. Protein is an essential nutrient that helps build and repair body tissue, supports muscle growth, and boosts metabolism.
3. Parmesan – Rich in calcium
The grated Parmesan cheese used in these quiches is a rich source of calcium. Calcium is important for maintaining healthy bones and teeth, supports nerve function and aids blood clotting.
4. Eggs – a nutritional powerhouse
The combination of whole eggs and egg yolks in this recipe adds flavor and nutrients. Eggs are a great source of high-quality protein, vitamins D and B12, and essential minerals like selenium and choline. They promote brain health, help with weight management, and provide energy to keep you going throughout the day.
5. Basil – Packed with antioxidants
The small packet of finely chopped basil gives these quiches an aromatic touch. Basil is known for its high concentration of antioxidants, including flavonoids and essential oils. These antioxidants protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals, reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
6. Limit portion sizes
To ensure that these quiches remain a healthy snack, it is important to pay attention to the portion sizes. Using tart pans helps with portion control so you can enjoy a delicious treat without overeating.
Next time you’re planning a picnic or just craving a savory snack, treat yourself to these Roasted Tomato and Pancetta Picnic Quiches. Not only will they satisfy your taste buds, but they will also provide you with valuable nutrients and health benefits.