This sophisticated recipe combines juicy pheasant breast with the tangy sweetness of orange, the subtle richness of dried apricots and the delicate saltiness of prosciutto.
Each bite is a symphony of flavors, creating a dining experience that will impress. Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion or simply treating yourself to a romantic evening, this dish will take your dinner to the next level.
Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. It is a wonderful option for those who appreciate gourmet cuisine and want to expand their culinary repertoire.
- 2 skinless pheasant breasts
- 6 plump, juicy dried apricots
- 12 slices thinly sliced prosciutto or streaky bacon
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- piece of butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g watercress
- Splash of orange juice
- Zest and squeeze 2 oranges
- 1 inch cinnamon stick (or 1 teaspoon ground)
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
Perfect wild rice
Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas. 4. Wash 140g mixed wild and basmati rice in cold water. Lightly soak 2-3 finely chopped shallots and 1 finely chopped garlic clove in 25 g
Heat the butter in a small ovenproof pan, then add the rice and fry for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper, add 400 ml of hot chicken stock and simmer covered
Cook over low heat until almost all of the water is absorbed – about 10 minutes. Cover with 2 pieces of old butter paper or buttered baking paper and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Cut each pheasant in half lengthwise down the middle, creating four thin breast pieces.
- Cut the apricots in the same way.
- Lay out 3 overlapping slices of ham or bacon and place a sprig of thyme on top.
- Place a piece of breast on top and place 3 pieces of apricot on top.
- Season with salt and pepper and then wrap the prosciutto tightly around the pheasant to form a packet.
- Repeat with remaining pheasant, prosciutto and apricot to make 4 packets.
- You can prepare these the day before and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over high heat and add butter and 1 tablespoon oil.
- When the fat sizzles, add the pheasant parcels and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until the prosciutto is crispy and golden brown.
- The heat of the pan causes the prosciutto to wrap tightly around the pheasant breast.
- Place the breasts on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes to finish cooking.
- In the meantime, add the zest and juice of the 2 oranges, cinnamon, honey and soy to the pan juices and simmer until a syrup forms.
- Mix the watercress with the remaining oil and a splash of orange juice.
- Serve the pheasant packets with orange sauce, watercress and rice.
Equipment and tools
- Ovenproof pan
- Small knife
- baking pan
- measuring spoon
This recipe contains prosciutto (or streaky bacon), which may contain allergens. Please check the packaging for allergen information. If you have specific dietary concerns or allergies, please consult a doctor.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, place the pheasant breast in a baking dish, cover with foil and warm in a preheated oven at 180°C for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Alternatively, you can enjoy it cold in sandwiches or salads.
The health benefits of pheasant breast à l’orange with dried apricots and prosciutto
Pheasant Breast à l’Orange with Dried Apricots and Prosciutto is a delicious and aromatic dish that not only satisfies the palate but also offers several health benefits. Pheasant, dried apricots, prosciutto and other ingredients used in this recipe are packed with various nutrients that can contribute to your overall well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of this delicious dish:
1. Pheasant breast:
Pheasant is a lean meat that is low in fat and calories, making it an excellent choice for individuals who want to maintain a healthy weight. It is also rich in proteins, which are essential for building and repairing muscles. Pheasant is a good source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, iron and zinc, which support the immune system and promote optimal health.
2. Dried Apricots:
Dried apricots are a great addition to this dish as they add a sweet and tangy flavor. These dried fruits are rich in fiber, which aids digestion and helps regulate bowel movements. They are also a good source of vitamins A and C and provide antioxidant properties that protect the body from cell damage caused by free radicals. Additionally, dried apricots contain iron and potassium, which are essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure and preventing anemia.
The thinly sliced prosciutto used in this recipe provides a salty and savory flavor. Although prosciutto should be consumed in moderation due to its high sodium content, it is a good source of protein and healthy fats. It also contains essential vitamins and minerals such as vitamin B6, niacin, iron and zinc, which are crucial for energy production, brain function and immune support.
Thyme sprigs are added to the recipe to enhance the overall flavor and aroma. Known for its antimicrobial properties, thyme is often used medicinally to treat respiratory illnesses and sore throats. It is also a rich source of antioxidants that help reduce inflammation in the body and promote healthy digestion.
Watercress is added to the dish for a fresh and peppery taste. This leafy green is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as calcium and iron. It is known for its high antioxidant content and potential cancer-fighting properties. Watercress also contains compounds that support heart health and may regulate blood pressure.
This recipe uses both the juice and peel of oranges, giving it a lemony and tangy flavor. Oranges are packed with immune-boosting vitamin C, which supports collagen production, aids wound healing, and protects against oxidative stress. They are also a good source of fiber, folic acid and potassium, all of which contribute to overall health and well-being.
Conclusion: Pheasant breast à l’Orange with dried apricots and prosciutto is a dish that not only pleases the palate, but also has numerous health benefits. From the lean protein of pheasant to the fiber-rich dried apricots to the aromatic prosciutto, each ingredient offers its unique nutritional benefits. By including this dish in your diet, you can enjoy a delicious meal while providing your body with essential nutrients.