Experience the flavors of Persia with our delicious Persian recipe for Fried Eggs with Spinach and Onions (Nargesi-e Esfenaj). This simple yet satisfying dish combines the goodness of spinach, aromatic onions and perfectly cooked eggs, making it suitable for any meal of the day – be it breakfast, lunch or dinner. The rich and creamy yolk is a treat on its own, but when paired with a slice of fresh bread for dipping, it reaches a whole new level of deliciousness. Try this Persian-inspired delicacy and enjoy the flavors that will transport you straight to Iran.
- small pinch of saffron
- 300g baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or another oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 free range eggs, separated
- 1 lemon or lime, halved, for serving
- Bread, for serving (optional)
- Mix the saffron with 2 tablespoons of boiling water from the kettle and set aside to steep.
- Wash the spinach and drain in a sieve.
- Heat the oil in a shallow nonstick skillet over low-medium heat and fry the onions for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add saffron water, cumin and ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Mix well. Place the onions in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the spinach to the skillet, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until wilted, 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the spinach is dark green, add the onions back to the pan and stir into the spinach.
- Season to taste and spread in an even layer, then make two gaps in the mixture.
- Add the melted butter into the gaps and then add the egg whites.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes, or until egg whites are set.
- Remove the lid, gently slide the yolks over the set egg whites, cover again and let sit for another 1-2 minutes until the yolks are cooked to your liking.
- Serve with lemon or lime for squeezing and bread for dipping.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- cutting board
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter)
Please make sure you are aware of any specific allergen concerns before preparing this dish.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, gently heat the dish in a skillet until warmed through.
Health Benefits of “Persian Fried Eggs with Spinach and Onions (Nargesi-e Esfenaj)”
Persian Fried Eggs with Spinach and Onions, also known as Nargesi-e Esfenaj, is a delicious and nutritious dish that combines the flavors of spinach, onions and spices with the creaminess of fried eggs. This traditional Persian dish is not only a tasty and filling meal but also offers various health benefits due to its main ingredients.
1. Spinach – a nutritional powerhouse
One of the main ingredients in this dish is baby spinach, which is packed with essential nutrients. Spinach is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, K and folic acid, all of which are important for maintaining overall health. It also contains minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium. Regular consumption of spinach can support healthy circulation and bone health and contribute to a strong immune system.
2. Avocado oil – heart-healthy fat
Using avocado oil in this recipe not only provides rich flavor, but also adds a dose of heart-healthy fats. Avocado oil is known for its high content of monounsaturated fats, which have positive effects on cardiovascular health. These fats, when consumed in moderation, can help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
3. Onions – immune-boosting onions
Onions are not only aromatic but also offer numerous health benefits. They contain antioxidants and compounds that are said to have immune-boosting properties. Onions are also rich in vitamins C and B6, both of which play crucial roles in supporting a healthy immune system. In addition, they can have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial effects, promoting general well-being.
4. Saffron – Adds flavor and potential health benefits
A small pinch of saffron is included in this recipe, which not only adds flavor but also has potential health benefits. Saffron is known for its antioxidant properties. It can have a mood-enhancing effect, contribute to psychological well-being, and even help relieve symptoms of mild depression. However, more research is needed to fully understand the extent of saffron’s health benefits.
5. Eggs – a protein-rich supplement
The fried eggs in this dish provide a significant protein boost, making it a filling meal. Protein is an essential macronutrient that supports muscle growth and repair, helps maintain a healthy weight, and helps you feel full for longer periods of time. Free-range eggs, such as those used in this recipe, provide additional benefits of omega-3 fatty acids and higher vitamin content compared to conventionally farmed eggs.
6. Citrus fruits – a refreshing source of vitamin C
Serving the dish with a lemon or lime not only adds a refreshing touch, but is also a good source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects against cell damage, supports collagen production and helps strengthen the immune system. Adding a pinch of citrus can improve the overall nutritional value of this dish.
In conclusion, Fried Eggs with Persian Spinach and Onions (Nargesi-e Esfenaj) not only delights your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. From nutrient-dense spinach and heart-healthy avocado oil to immune-boosting onions and protein-packed eggs, this dish is a nutritional powerhouse. So why not try this traditional Persian recipe and enjoy a tasty and nutritious meal?