Introducing Sara Buenfeld’s adorable and delicious recipe for Perfect Pasties, designed to take you back to those treasured childhood moments spent on sunny summer vacations by the sea.
Indulge in the nostalgic flavors of this humble pie, lovingly crafted to recreate the taste and texture of seaside delicacies. Sara’s expert touch brings out the best in each ingredient, resulting in a delicious treat that will satisfy your cravings and awaken a sense of nostalgia within you.
Prepare for a culinary journey down memory lane with Perfect Pasties – a tribute to the simplicity and joy of coastal dining experiences, carefully perfected by Sara Buenfeld.
- 125g chilled and diced butter
- 125g lard
- 500 g flour, plus a little more
- 1 egg, beaten
- 350 g beef fillet or beef steak, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
- 175g beets, peeled, finely diced
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- Using your fingertips or a food processor, rub the butter and lard into the flour with a pinch of salt and then stir in 6 tablespoons of cold water to form a firm dough. Cut evenly into four pieces and then chill for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas 7. Mix the ingredients for the filling with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Roll out each piece of dough on a lightly floured surface until large enough to form a circle about 9 inches (23 cm) in diameter. Use a plate to shape it.
- Pack a quarter of the filling tightly into the center of each round, leaving a border at either end.
- Brush the dough all over with beaten egg, gently pull up both sides so they meet at the top, then press together to seal.
- Transfer to a nonstick baking sheet and brush with remaining egg to glaze.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4 and bake for a further 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Great served warm.
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- rolling pin
- Pastry brush
- Large mixing bowl
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (found in regular flour)
Please ensure that you or the intended consumers of this recipe do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions related to these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to make the pies in advance, here’s what you need to know about storage:
- Allow pies to cool completely before storing.
- Place the pies in an airtight container or wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store the pies in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and bake the pies for about 15 minutes or until heated through.
Health Benefits of “Perfect Pasties”
Pasties are traditionally baked savory cakes that have gained popularity worldwide. Although they may not be considered the healthiest option due to their pastry shell, Perfect Pasties can still provide some nutritional benefits when prepared with the following ingredients.
1. Beef skirt or chuck steak
Sirloin or chuck steak used in Perfect Pasties provides a good amount of protein. Protein is essential for the growth and repair of body tissues, including muscles, skin and organs. It also helps balance hormones and improve immunity.
Including onions in the filling of the pies brings various health benefits. Onions are rich in antioxidants that fight inflammation and protect cells from damage. They are also a good source of vitamins C and B6, which play an important role in immune function and brain health.
Thinly sliced potatoes inside the pies add to their heartiness. Potatoes are a great source of fiber, vitamin C and potassium. Fiber aids digestion, while vitamin C is an antioxidant that supports the immune system. Potassium is crucial for maintaining proper heart and muscle function.
Rutabagas, also known as turnips, are not only delicious but also offer a number of health benefits. They are packed with vitamin C, fiber and antioxidants. The high fiber content supports digestion, while antioxidants help fight free radicals, reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
5. Black pepper
A pinch of freshly ground black pepper not only enhances the flavor of Perfect Pasties, but also offers potential health benefits. Black pepper contains a compound called piperine, which may improve digestion and improve the absorption of certain nutrients from food.
Although Perfect Pasties may not be the first choice for those on a strict diet, they can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced meal. By using high-quality ingredients and incorporating a variety of vegetables, these pies can provide some nutritional value.