Introducing Peppermint Candy Biscuits, the adorable heart-shaped cookies that are not only delicious but also a perfect activity for kids. With their delicious crunch and refreshing mint filling, these cookies are a hit with children and adults. Whether for a special occasion or just as a sweet treat to enjoy, these homemade treats make ideal gifts for your loved ones. Get ready for a fun baking adventure that will not only tantalize your taste buds but also create lasting memories. Let the joy of baking begin!
- 175g flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 100g butter, cut into small cubes
- 85g powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- about 5 peppermint candy canes
Equipment you need
To make these cookies you will need the following equipment: Large mixing bowl; Blunt cutlery knives; cling film; 2 large baking sheets; baking paper; Small plastic bag for storing food; tea towel; rolling pin; 1 large (6 cm diameter) and 1 small (3 cm diameter) heart-shaped cookie cutter; Baking gloves.Before you start
Wash your hands, tie back long hair if necessary and put on an apron.For parents
Small children need help putting baking sheets in and out of the hot oven.
- Place flour and butter in a bowl.
- Press the lumps of butter into the flour with your fingers.
- Rub together the flour and butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Add sugar and egg yolks.
- Pour 1-2 tbsp cold water into the mixture.
- Mix the ingredients with a blunt cutlery knife and then form a soft dough with your hands.
- Alternatively, you can use a food processor under adult supervision.
- Wrap the dough in cling film.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator to cool for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the candy canes in a resealable plastic bag.
- Wrap the bag in a tea towel.
- Using a rolling pin, beat the candy canes until they resemble coarse chunks.
- Set the crushed candy canes aside.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour.
- Roll out the chilled dough with a rolling pin.
- Using a large cookie cutter, cut out heart shapes from the dough.
- Place the heart-shaped dough on the prepared baking sheets.
- Make sure the hearts are a little spaced apart.
- Using a smaller cookie cutter, cut out a small heart in the center of each large heart-shaped dough.
- Re-roll the dough scraps and repeat until you have about 20 hearts total.
- Bake the hearts in the preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven.
- Fill each small heart-shaped cutout with some crushed candy cane.
- Place the baking sheets back in the oven for another 4 minutes.
- Continue baking until the cookies just begin to turn golden brown and the candy cane is melted.
- Remove the trays from the oven and quickly sprinkle the sticky center of each heart with some crushed candy cane.
- Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheets and cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, they can be easily removed from the trays.
- Pack the cookies in pretty boxes to give as gifts.
Equipment and tools
- Large mixing bowl
- Blunt cutlery knives
- cling film
- 2 large baking sheets
- baking paper
- Small plastic bag for storing food
- tea towel
- rolling pin
- 1 large (6 cm diameter) and 1 small (3 cm diameter) heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Baking gloves
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
Store the peppermint candy cookies in an airtight container at room temperature. They last up to 1 week.
Health Benefits of Peppermint Candy Cookies
Peppermint candy cookies not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also provide several health benefits. Enjoying these delicious treats can give you the following benefits:
1. Promotes digestion
The peppermint flavor in these cookies can help soothe the stomach and promote better digestion. Peppermint has traditionally been used to relieve indigestion, gas and bloating.
2. Freshens breath
Peppermint has natural breath-freshening properties. The combination of peppermint flavor and candy canes in these cookies can help mask bad breath and leave your mouth feeling fresh.
3. Relieves headaches
Peppermint has been found to have analgesic and muscle relaxant properties that can help relieve headaches. Enjoying these peppermint candy cane cookies can relieve a mild headache.
4. Reduces stress
The scent of peppermint has a calming effect and is known to reduce stress and anxiety. Snacking on these peppermint candy cookies can create a calming atmosphere and promote relaxation.
5. Boosts mood
Peppermint is associated with improved mood and increased cognitive performance. Eating these cookies can help lift your mood and improve your overall mental well-being.
6. Antioxidant properties
Peppermint contains antioxidants that can protect the body from free radical damage. Including these cookies in your diet can contribute to your overall antioxidant intake.
With their delicious taste and potential health benefits, peppermint candy cookies are a delicious treat that will not only satisfy your cravings but also promote your well-being.