This delicious pear and mango salad recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a refreshing salad full of flavors. The combination of juicy pears and savory Manchego cheese creates a delicious balance of sweet and salty. Topped with a tangy vinaigrette dressing, this salad is a real crowd-pleaser.
Because this recipe appeals to both flavor and texture, it is not suitable for those who do not consume pork products. Please note that it contains pork and is therefore intended exclusively for non-Muslims. However, if you enjoy varied culinary experiences, this pear and Manchego salad will undoubtedly satisfy your cravings.
- 1 tbsp high-quality, clear honey
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus a dash for toasting the nuts
- 2 tbsp blanched hazelnuts
- Zest ¼ lemon
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 75g mixed leaves (we used red chicory, watercress and rocket)
- 1 ripe pear, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 25g Manchego (or a vegetarian hard cheese)
Make prosciutto variations as a side dish to your pear and mango salad
Cut 2 slices Prosciutto cut into strips and wrap 4 breadsticks Grissini (or a gluten-free alternative).
- Heat honey and rosemary in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of boiling water.
- Bring the honey-rosemary mixture to a boil and let it bubble for about 30 seconds.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and let it steep.
- Heat a frying pan and drizzle some oil into it.
- Add the hazelnuts to the pan and toast until they turn golden brown and begin to char.
- Remove the hazelnuts from the pan and let them cool.
- Roughly chop the hazelnuts to create a rustic crumb and mix with the lemon zest and some spices.
- To make a dressing, mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar with some spices.
- Toss the lettuce leaves with most of the dressing until well coated.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on serving plates or a platter.
- Layer the lettuce leaves with the pear slices.
- Top the salad with grated Manchego cheese and hazelnut crumbs.
- Drizzle some rosemary honey and the remaining dressing over it.
- Serve the pear and Manchego salad with prosciutto twists (see tip below) for the meat eaters.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this pear and mango salad you will need the following equipment and tools:
- measuring spoon
- frying pan
- Spatula or tongs
This pear and mango salad recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Nuts (hazelnuts)
- Gluten (grissini breadsticks)
- Dairy products (Manchego cheese)
Please be sure to check the ingredients and adjust the recipe according to your dietary needs and allergies.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover pear and Manchego salad, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. However, it is best to consume the salad fresh to fully enjoy its flavors and textures.
Before serving the leftovers, make sure to mix the salad well and season if necessary.
Health Benefits of Pear Mango Salad
Combining fresh ingredients in a pear and Manchego salad not only provides a delicious blend of flavors but also offers several health benefits. From the crispy mixed leaves to the juicy sweetness of the pear, each component offers valuable nutrients that contribute to a balanced diet.
Rich in antioxidants
The addition of honey, hazelnuts and lemon zest in this salad provides an antioxidant boost. Antioxidants help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body, protecting cells from damage and reducing the risk of chronic diseases.
Olive oil, known for its heart-healthy properties, is used both to dress the salad and to toast the nuts. The monounsaturated fats found in olive oil may help lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease. Hazelnuts also contain healthy fats and vitamin E, which support cardiovascular health.
Excellent source of fiber
Mixed leaves such as red chicory, watercress and arugula are rich in fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. In addition, fiber helps control blood sugar levels, promotes weight control, and reduces the risk of certain cancers.
Vitamin and mineral powerhouse
One of the stars of this salad, the pear, is not only delicious but also provides a number of important vitamins and minerals. Pears are an excellent source of vitamin C, an antioxidant that supports the immune system and promotes skin health. They also contain potassium, which helps maintain appropriate blood pressure, and fiber, which contributes to overall gut health.
If you follow a vegetarian diet, Manchego cheese can be replaced with a hard vegetarian cheese. So you can enjoy the unique, hearty taste of this salad without compromising your dietary habits.
So why not try this refreshing and nutritious pear and mango salad? It is a wonderful option for a light lunch or side dish that will not only please your taste buds but also nourish your body with its numerous health benefits.