This delicious Pea and Feta Toast recipe offers a delicious twist on the classic bruschetta.
Combining baguette slices with a vibrant mix of crushed peas, fresh mint and tangy feta cheese, these toasts are the perfect canapés for any occasion.
The refreshing flavors of peas and mint complement the creamy and salty notes of the feta, creating a delicious bite-sized treat that’s sure to impress your guests.
Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or just looking for a flavorful appetizer, these pea and feta toasts are an excellent choice. Their colorful presentation and delicious taste will leave you wanting more!
- 300 g frozen peas, let thaw at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons low-fat natural yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint, plus a few extra leaves, torn
- Zest and juice of half a lemon
- 15 slices cut from a thin baguette, lightly toasted
- 85g feta cheese, crumbled
- Drizzle olive oil
- Place the thawed peas, yogurt, chopped mint, lemon zest and juice in a bowl.
- Add some spice to the mixture.
- Mash the ingredients well with a potato masher.
- Divide the pea mixture evenly among the toasts.
- Sprinkle some feta on each toast.
- Sprinkle some more pepper over the feta.
- Arrange the toasts on a plate.
- Scatter more mint leaves over the toasts.
- Drizzle some oil over the toasts.
- Serve and enjoy!
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- baking tray
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
- This recipe contains dairy (feta cheese) and gluten (baguette).
- May contain traces of nuts.
- Check the label on the yogurt for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover pea and feta toast in an airtight container in the fridge. They last up to 2 days. Before reheating, take them out of the fridge and let them come to room temperature. You can reheat them in the toaster or under the broiler for a few minutes until warmed through.
Health Benefits of “Pea and Feta Toast”
Pea and feta toast is not only delicious and easy to make, but also offers several health benefits. This recipe combines the freshness of peas, the creaminess of feta cheese and the tang of lemon to create a sensational and nutritious dish.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Peas are a fantastic source of important vitamins and minerals. They are particularly high in vitamin K, which plays a crucial role in blood clotting and bone health. Peas are also rich in vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and supports collagen production. In addition, they contain iron, magnesium and zinc, which are necessary for various body functions.
2. Provides fiber
Including peas in this recipe ensures a good amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels and lower cholesterol levels, reducing the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
3. Low in calories and fat
By using low-fat natural yogurt and a small amount of olive oil, this dish remains low in calories and fat. Peas are also naturally low in fat. This makes pea and feta toast a great option for people watching their calorie intake or trying to maintain a healthy weight.
4. Protein source
Peas are a good source of vegetarian protein when combined with feta cheese. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue and producing enzymes and hormones. Including protein in your diet can also help you feel fuller for longer, making it a useful ingredient for weight management.
5. Rich in antioxidants
Peas, mint, and lemon zest used in this recipe are all rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from free radicals, which can cause cell damage and lead to various health problems. Including antioxidant-rich foods in your diet can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
In summary, pea and feta toast not only offers a delicious culinary experience but also comes with several health benefits. From the abundance of vitamins and minerals to the fiber content and antioxidant properties, this dish celebrates good nutrition with every bite.