This twist on a classic Christmas log utilizes the tropical flavors of passion fruit and coconut to create a great tropical centerpiece for your Christmas table.
The combination of tangy passion fruit, rich chocolate and sweet coconut is a match made in heaven.
Each piece of this roulade is bursting with a harmonious mix of tropical delicacies that will transport your palate to a sunny paradise.
With its beautifully rolled layers decorated with a pinch of cocoa powder and toasted coconut, it is not only a treat for the taste buds but also a feast for the eyes.
Your guests will be impressed by this stunning dessert and it’s the perfect way to add a touch of exoticism to your traditional Christmas party.
- Oil or butter for greasing
- 150g gluten-free dark chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 170g golden powdered sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 25g ground almonds
- 250g can of mascarpone
- 400 ml cream
- 50 ml Malibu (optional)
- 85g powdered sugar
- 125g passion fruit curd
- 3 ripe passion fruits, pulp scooped out
- 75g coconut flakes, roasted
- edible gold glitter (optional)
You can make the roulade up to a month in advance. Simply store in the freezer and remove 2 hours before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Grease a 33 x 23 cm jelly roll tin and line it with baking paper. Then grease the parchment too.
- Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and place over a pan of gently simmering water.
- Allow to melt, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (alternatively, melt in short bursts in the microwave).
- Place the egg whites in one large, clean bowl and the yolks and sugar in another.
- Using very clean beaters, beat the egg whites until only soft peaks remain.
- Add the beaters to the egg yolk bowl (no need to wash them) and beat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is thick and pale.
- Add a large spoonful of egg white to the yolk and stir with a large metal spoon to loosen the yolk slightly.
- Add the remaining egg white and carefully fold it into the yolk, making sure not to let too much air escape.
- When almost everything is incorporated, sift the cocoa over the surface, sprinkle it over the almonds and pour in the melted chocolate.
- Continue folding until the mixture is well combined, then scrape it into the pan.
- Spread the mixture to the edge and smooth the surface.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 15-18 minutes, until the surface is crispy and the cake feels springy.
- Turn the still warm roulade onto a large piece of baking paper and remove the baking paper on which you baked the roulade.
- Using a small serrated knife, make a shallow incision about 1cm from one of the shorter edges, being careful not to cut all the way through.
- From this end, roll up as tightly as possible, bending the cut piece inward to secure the center of the roll. Use the baking paper to help prevent the layers from sticking to each other.
- Set and let cool.
- Place mascarpone, cream, Malibu (if using) and powdered sugar in a bowl and whisk until soft whipped cream forms.
- Unroll the roulade carefully – it will crack in places, but don’t worry.
- Spread a third of the cream over the entire surface, leaving a border of about 1.5 cm all around.
- Drizzle the passion fruit curd over the entire surface and distribute the passion fruit pulp evenly on top.
- Starting with the end you used before, roll the roulade again as tightly as possible. As you do this, bend the cut piece into the cream so that the center of the roll sits firmly.
- Place the roulade, seam side down, on a serving plate or board and spread the remaining cream all around.
- Press the coconut flakes into place on the top and sides and dust with a little gold glitter if desired.
- Refrigerate and serve within a few hours. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 2 days.
Equipment and tools
To make this Passionfruit Chocolate Coconut Roulade recipe you will need the following:
- Oil or butter for greasing
- mixing bowls
- Electric mixer or whisk
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
This Passion Fruit Chocolate Coconut Roulade recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (mascarpone, double cream)
Storage and leftovers
After preparing the passion fruit chocolate coconut roulade, follow the following storage tips:
- If you have leftovers, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
- The roulade can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- For longer storage, you can freeze the roulade for up to a month.
- When freezing, be sure to wrap the roulade in a layer of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil to prevent freezer burn.
- To serve after freezing, remove the roulade from the freezer and let it thaw in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
Health Benefits of Passion Fruit, Chocolate and Coconut Roulade
The combination of passion fruit, chocolate and coconut in this roulade not only makes for a delicious dessert but also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutrients contained in each ingredient:
Passion fruit is not only a tropical delight but also a rich source of various nutrients. It is rich in vitamin C, an antioxidant that boosts the immune system and fights off harmful free radicals. Additionally, passion fruit is a great source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut. It also contains vitamin A, which has a positive effect on maintaining healthy skin and eyes.
The inclusion of dark chocolate in this roulade gives this roulade a bittersweet taste and some impressive health benefits. Dark chocolate is known for its high antioxidant content, which protects the body from oxidative stress and inflammation. It also contains minerals such as iron, magnesium and zinc. Moderate consumption of dark chocolate is associated with improved heart health and brain function.
Not only does coconut flakes contribute to the rich texture of this roulade, but it also offers several health benefits. They are a good source of healthy fats called medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which help boost brain function and can provide a quick source of energy. Coconut flakes also provide fiber, which supports digestion and promotes satiety.
Mascarpone and double cream
The mascarpone and double cream used in this recipe provide a creamy and indulgent touch. Although these ingredients should be consumed in moderation due to their high fat content, they can provide some important nutrients. Mascarpone is a rich source of calcium, which is important for maintaining strong bones and teeth. Double Cream, on the other hand, contains vitamins A and D as well as small amounts of other essential nutrients.
Passion fruit curd
The passion fruit curd not only enhances the flavor of this dessert but also provides the same nutritional benefits as fresh passion fruit. It is rich in vitamin C and fiber, which promote overall health and well-being.
With this tantalizing combination of ingredients, the passion fruit, chocolate and coconut roulade will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide a range of nutritional benefits. Whether as a special treat or as a healthier dessert, this roulade offers a delicious and nutritious experience.
Tip: If you want to make this roulade in advance, you can freeze it for up to a month and simply remove it from the freezer two hours before serving. So you can enjoy this delicious dessert whenever you want!