This Valentine’s Day, bake Sarah Cook’s delicious three-layer passion cake for someone you love. This delicious dessert is infused with the rich flavors of passion fruit, leaving a tangy and unforgettable taste on your palate. The velvety texture created by the layers of moist cake, creamy filling and delicious passion fruit frosting is sure to captivate the hearts of your loved ones. Celebrate this romantic occasion by sharing the joy of indulging in this irresistible indulgence. Prepare to ignite passion and create lasting memories with every delicious bite of this sensational cake.
- 150 ml sunflower oil, plus a little extra for the can
- 300g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 300g powdered sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 2 eggs, plus 2 egg whites, whole eggs beaten
- 2 overripe bananas, mashed
- 140g carrots, grated
- 432 g canned chopped pineapple in the juice, drain in a sieve, collecting the juice (or briefly stir up a can of pineapple chunks and then pour through a sieve)
- 100 ml milk
- 4 ripe passion fruits, halved
- 25g powdered sugar
- 200g can of soft cheese
- 100 g soft butter
- 85g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4.
- Oil the bottom of a 3 x 20 cm sandwich tin and line it with baking paper.
- Mix the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, half the sugar and the coconut in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the beaten eggs, mashed bananas, grated carrots, drained mashed pineapple, milk and oil.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add the remaining sugar and beat again until stiff and shiny.
- Stir the wet mixture into the dry mixture until smooth and lump-free.
- Using a large metal spoon or spatula, fold in the egg white mixture.
- Divide the dough evenly between the tins and bake for 25 minutes, until risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- You may need to swap the positions of the cans after 20 minutes.
- To make the drizzle, spoon out the passion fruit pulp and place it in a small pot.
- Add the pineapple juice and powdered sugar and heat until bubbles form, then bubble until a syrupy consistency is formed.
- For the glaze, beat the cheese and butter until there are no lumps.
- Then stir in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Chill the glaze until ready to assemble.
- Pierce the cakes all over with a skewer, drizzle most of the passion syrup over them and let them cool.
- After cooling, spread the icing over two sponge cake bases.
- Place the two ice-cold sponge cake bases together and cover them with the third, non-ice-cold sponge cake dough.
- Drizzle the remaining syrup over it.
Equipment and tools
Before you start making passion cake, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Cake pan (greased with sunflower oil)
Please note the following allergen information for the passion cake:
- This recipe contains eggs, dairy (soft cheese, butter, milk) and gluten (self-raising flour).
- Due to the use of coconut, it may also contain traces of nuts or peanuts.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers or want to store the passion cake, follow these instructions:
- Cool cake completely before storing.
- Store the cake in an airtight container or wrap it tightly in plastic wrap.
- Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- Before serving the leftovers, bring the cake to room temperature or gently heat it in the microwave.
Health Benefits of Passion Cake
The delicious and juicy passion cake not only satisfies your taste buds but also brings several health benefits. Packed with healthy ingredients, this cake is a delicious treat that can positively contribute to your well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of its key ingredients:
1. Sunflower oil
Using sunflower oil in this recipe offers a healthier alternative to traditional butter. Sunflower oil is rich in unsaturated fats, especially monounsaturated fats, which are known for their heart-healthy properties. It also contains vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage. Moderate use of sunflower oil can help maintain a healthy lipid profile.
2. Self-raising flour
Self-rising flour is a versatile ingredient that adds structure and volume to baked goods. It contains a raising agent, usually baking powder, which causes the cake to rise during baking. Although it is not a significant source of nutrients, using self-raising flour in moderation can contribute to a balanced diet.
3. Ground cinnamon
In addition to its warm and soothing taste, ground cinnamon offers several health benefits. It has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that may help reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Cinnamon is also associated with improved blood sugar control and may be helpful in treating diabetes.
4. Powdered sugar
Powdered sugar is a finely granulated sugar often used in baking. Although it is still a form of sugar and should be consumed in moderation, using powdered sugar instead of coarse sugar can help cakes have a lighter and fluffier texture. Remember to enjoy sweet treats like passion cake every now and then.
5. Dried coconut
Dried coconut gives passion cake a tropical feel while providing its health benefits. Coconut is a good source of healthy fats, fiber and essential minerals. It also has antimicrobial properties and can support digestive health.
As one of the main ingredients of this cake, bananas not only contribute to its moisture but also provide several health benefits. Bananas are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. They are a great source of potassium, which plays a crucial role in maintaining a healthy heart and blood pressure.
Incorporating grated carrots into passion cake not only adds more sweetness but also increases its nutritional value. Carrots are known for their high content of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. They also contain antioxidants and fiber, which support eye health and digestion.
8. Crushed pineapple
The addition of crushed pineapple in this recipe not only adds a tangy taste but also provides health benefits. Pineapples are rich in vitamin C, which supports immune function and collagen production. They also contain bromelain, an enzyme that may have anti-inflammatory properties.
9. Passion fruits
The ripe passion fruits used in the cake provide a unique and tropical taste while providing numerous health benefits. Passion fruits are rich in antioxidants such as vitamin C and beta-carotene, which help protect against cell damage. They are also a good source of fiber and promote digestive health.
10. Soft cheese
The soft cheese used as a topping in this recipe creates a velvety and creamy texture. Even though it contains more fat than other types of cheese, it can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Like other dairy products, soft cheese is a good source of calcium, protein and important vitamins.
11. Powdered sugar
Powdered sugar, also known as powdered sugar, is a finely ground form of sugar commonly used to make icing or icing. It adds sweetness and aesthetics to the cake. However, it’s important to consume powdered sugar sparingly as it contributes empty calories with no significant nutritional value.
12. Vanilla extract
Although vanilla extract is used solely for flavoring purposes, it is derived from vanilla beans and contains small amounts of antioxidants. Additionally, it can enhance the overall aroma and flavor of the passion cake.