This delicious, sugar-dusted passion cake combines the best of both worlds, combining the flavors of a moist carrot cake with the tropical goodness of a hummingbird cake. With its wonderfully fruity note, this cake has won the hearts of many people down under. Prepared with love and skill, each piece is a heavenly delight that leaves you wanting more. Garnished with a delicate pinch of sugar, it adds a touch of elegance to this already irresistible dessert. Whether you’re a fan of carrot cake or hummingbird cake, this hybrid creation is sure to captivate your taste buds.
- 250 ml sunflower oil, plus a little oil for greasing
- 140g dark muscovado sugar
- 250g wholemeal flour
- 100g desiccated coconut
- 2 tsp spice mix
- 2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 50g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten with a fork
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g carrots, peeled and grated
- 432g canned crushed pineapple, drained, reserving 50ml juice (from Sainsbury’s, or see know-how below)
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 200g powdered sugar
- Powdered sugar and doilies, mascarpone and natural yogurt for serving
If you can’t get crushed pineapple, just
Drain a 16 oz can or 2 x 8 oz cans of pineapple
Put pieces in natural juice and put a food in it
Crush the processor until mushy.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/fan 140°C/gas. 3. Grease a deep 20cm square tin and line it with baking paper.
- Sift the muscovado until it is free of lumps. Place the flour, coconut, spice mix, baking powder and walnuts in the largest bowl you have and mix well.
- In a jug, whisk together the oil, eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Add the carrot, pineapple, reserved pineapple juice and lime zest to the bowl and mix well.
- Scrape into the pan and then bake on low to medium rack for 1 hour, until a skewer comes out with only moist crumbs attached and no sticky mixture left.
- Once cooled, the cake can be frozen for up to 3 months and soaked in the syrup once thawed.
- Meanwhile, prepare a lime syrup by gently heating the powdered sugar, lime juice and the last teaspoon of vanilla in a small pan. Once dissolved, let it cook for a few minutes until it forms a syrup.
- Leave the cake in the pan until it is cool enough to handle, then turn it upside down onto a wire rack.
- Poke holes all over the cake with a skewer and gradually drizzle the syrup over it. Wait for the last addition to penetrate the cake before pouring the syrup over it.
- Allow to cool completely, then trim off the edges. It will keep for a few days in an airtight container.
- To serve, place the cake right side up back on a serving plate and place a doily or doilies over it.
- Dust generously with powdered sugar and then very carefully lift off the paper without mixing the sugar.
- Serve immediately, as the powdered sugar will start to melt after a while, with something creamy on the side – try mixing equal amounts of mascarpone and plain yogurt with a little more powdered sugar.
Equipment and tools
- lubricating oil
- mixing bowl
- measuring cup
- Whisk or fork
- Food processor (optional)
- Cake Tin
- Cooling rack
This sugar-dusted passion cake contains the following allergens:
- Tree nuts (walnuts)
Storage and leftovers
How to store the cake:
- Allow the cake to cool completely.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container.
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Cut the cake into slices or portions.
- Wrap each slice tightly in plastic wrap or place in individual freezer-safe containers.
- Label the containers with the date.
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Health Benefits of Sugar Dusted Passion Cake
Sugar-dusted passion cake is a delicious and indulgent treat that you can enjoy while reaping health benefits. This cake is packed with nutritious ingredients that will not only satisfy your sweet tooth but also provide multiple health benefits.
1. Whole wheat flour
This recipe calls for whole wheat flour, which is a healthier alternative to refined white flour. Whole wheat flour is made from whole grains and contains all parts of the grain, including the bran, germ and endosperm. This means it contains more fiber, vitamins and minerals compared to refined flour.
The addition of grated carrots in this cake not only provides a bright color but also provides numerous health benefits. Carrots are rich in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, especially beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is important for maintaining healthy vision, boosting the immune system and promoting skin health.
Walnuts aren’t just a delicious addition to this cake; They also offer several health benefits. These nuts are an excellent source of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health, reducing inflammation and promoting heart health. They are also rich in antioxidants and can help lower cholesterol levels.
Using crushed pineapple in this recipe adds a tropical touch and some health benefits. Pineapple is rich in vitamins, minerals and enzymes that aid digestion and promote a healthy immune system. It is also a great source of vitamin C, which is essential for collagen production and overall skin health.
5. Lime juice
The zest and juice of limes give the cake a refreshing citrus flavor and have their own health benefits. Limes are a rich source of vitamin C and antioxidants, which boost the immune system, support collagen production and promote a healthy heart.
6. Dark Muscovado Sugar
While sugar should be consumed in moderation, opting for dark muscovado sugar in this recipe provides a slightly healthier alternative to refined white sugar. Dark muscovado sugar is less processed, retaining more of the natural molasses and minerals from sugar cane. It has a richer taste and contains small amounts of minerals such as calcium, iron and potassium.
Sugar-dusted passion cake is a delicious treat that offers more than just delicious taste. Using healthy ingredients like whole wheat flour, carrots, walnuts, pineapple and lime juice gives this sweet treat a nutritious touch and makes it a guilt-free treat.