This cake is a delicious flavor combination that combines the moistness of carrot banana cake with the delightful sweetness of juicy pineapple. It’s the perfect choice for a light dessert or a delicious treat with tea.
With hints of passion fruit throughout the loaf, it adds a unique twist to the classic flavors. And to top it all off, the cake is generously covered in a delicious coconut cream cheese glaze that adds a creamy and tropical touch to every bite.
Treat yourself to a piece of this irresistible passion bread and let the harmonious mix of flavors take you to a place of pure bliss.
- 227g can of pineapple chunks, in juice
- 50g sultanas
- 175 ml sunflower oil
- 2 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut yogurt (we used Rachel’s)
- 200g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 200g soft light brown sugar
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- 100g carrots, grated (approximately 1 carrot)
- 1 overripe banana, mashed
- 200g cream cheese
- 50g coconut yoghurt
- 50g powdered sugar
- dried coconut flakes for serving (optional)
- Drain the juice from the pineapple into a small saucepan, add the sultanas, simmer for 1-2 minutes until the sultanas are plump, then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4 and line a 900g loaf tin with a strip of baking paper.
- In a jug, whisk together sunflower oil, eggs and yogurt.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, add the pineapple, drain the sultanas and add them along with the carrots and banana.
- Mix with a spatula until well combined, then scrape into the tin and bake on the middle rack of the oven for 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, stir together the cream cheese, yogurt and powdered sugar in a large bowl until well combined – be careful not to overmix.
- When the cake has cooled, spread the icing on top and sprinkle with coconut flakes if desired.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Whisk or spatula
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Electric mixer (optional)
- Loaf tin for baking
- Baking paper or parchment paper
- Cooling rack
- Serving plate
This Passion Bread with Coconut Cream Cheese Glaze contains the following allergens:
Please ensure that all ingredients used are suitable for your dietary needs and allergies. If you are allergic to walnuts, you can omit them from the recipe or replace them with another nut or seed of your choice.
Storage and leftovers
Once baked and cooled, store the passion bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. If you wish, you can also store it in the refrigerator to prolong its freshness.
Leftover slices can be individually wrapped and frozen for up to a month. Allow to thaw at room temperature or warm gently in the oven before serving.
Health Benefits of Passion Bread with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting
Treating yourself to a delicious dessert means you don’t have to compromise on your health. This Passion Bread with Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers several health benefits thanks to its nutrient-dense ingredients. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of each component:
Pineapple is a tropical fruit that contains bromelain, an enzyme known for its anti-inflammatory properties. Eating bromelain-rich foods like pineapple can help reduce inflammation in the body and aid digestion.
Sultanas, also known as golden raisins, add a natural sweetness to this recipe. They are rich in fiber, which helps maintain a healthy digestive system. Sultanas also contain beneficial antioxidants that can protect the body from free radical damage.
While moderation is key, using sunflower oil in this recipe instead of butter can provide a healthier fat alternative. Sunflower oil is rich in vitamin E, which acts as an antioxidant and can help protect cells from damage.
Coconut yogurt serves as a dairy-free alternative in this recipe. It contains probiotics that promote a healthy gut by supporting the growth of beneficial bacteria. Probiotics can also boost the immune system and improve digestion.
Walnuts are a fantastic source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health and may help reduce the risk of heart disease. They also contain antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties.
Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a nutrient that the body converts into vitamin A. Vitamin A is important for maintaining healthy vision, supporting the immune system and promoting proper organ function.
In addition to adding natural sweetness, bananas are rich in potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure and supports heart health. They are also an excellent source of vitamin C and fiber.
Cream cheese contributes to the smooth and creamy texture of the frosting. Although it should be enjoyed in moderation, it provides a good amount of calcium, which is essential for bone health.
Dried shredded coconut serves as an optional topping for this recipe. Coconut is rich in healthy fats, fiber and minerals like manganese and copper.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Passion Bread with Coconut Cream Cheese Glaze not only delights your taste buds but also offers various health benefits. Remember to enjoy this treat in moderation as part of a balanced diet.