Parkin is a deliciously moist and fragrant sponge cake with a delightful touch of nostalgia that comes from the picturesque regions of Northern England. This traditional treat is expertly seasoned with the sweetness of syrupy molasses, the heartiness of oatmeal and the warming spice of ginger. Its soothing and irresistible taste makes it the ideal choice for a delicious tea experience. Whether with a steaming cup of tea or as a cozy dessert, Parkin is sure to transport you to the enchanting English countryside with every delicious bite.
- 200g butter, plus a little butter for greasing
- 1 large egg
- 4 tablespoons of milk
- 200g golden syrup
- 85g syrup
- 85g light soft brown sugar
- 100 g medium oat flakes
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3.
- Grease and line a deep square cake tin (22cm/9in) with baking paper.
- Mix egg and milk with a fork.
- Gently melt syrup, syrup, sugar and butter in a large saucepan until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.
- Mix the oats, flour and ginger and stir into the syrup mixture, followed by the egg and milk.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the cake feels set and slightly crispy on top.
- Allow to cool in the tin, then wrap in more parchment and foil and store for 3-5 days before eating if possible – it will become softer and stickier the longer you leave it, up to 2 weeks.
Equipment and tools
Before you start preparing Parkin, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Casserole dish or can
- Baking paper or butter for greasing
The Parkin recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products: butter and milk
- Eggs: 1 large egg
- Gluten: Self-raising flour
- Oats: Medium rolled oats
It is important to note any dietary restrictions or allergies of those who will be consuming Parkin.
Storage and leftovers
Once the parkin has cooled, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. To extend freshness, you can also store it in the refrigerator.
If there are any leftovers, they can be enjoyed as a sweet treat with a cup of tea or coffee. Simply heat it in the microwave or oven for a few seconds to restore the soft consistency.
Health Benefits of Parkin
Parkin is a traditional English gingerbread cake that not only tantalizes your taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Made with butter, golden syrup, treacle, rolled oats, self-raising flour, and ground ginger, this delicious treat has a nutritional profile that might surprise you. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of Parkin:
1. Provides energy
The combination of butter, oats and flour in Parkin provides a good amount of energy. The carbohydrates contained in these ingredients are important for fueling the body and keeping you active throughout the day.
2. Contains fiber
Oatmeal, a key ingredient in Parkin, is a rich source of fiber. Fiber plays an important role in maintaining a healthy digestive system by promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation.
3. Supports heart health
The gold syrup and treacle used in Parkin contain traces of iron and potassium, which are known to have positive effects on heart health. Potassium helps regulate blood pressure, while iron supports the production of healthy red blood cells.
4. Anti-inflammatory properties
One tablespoon of ground ginger is contained in Parkin. Ginger is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory properties, which can help reduce inflammation in the body. It may be particularly beneficial for those with arthritis or other inflammatory conditions.
5. Source of essential nutrients
Parkin contains ingredients such as milk and eggs, which are excellent sources of essential nutrients. Milk provides calcium for healthy bones and teeth, while eggs provide proteins, vitamins and minerals necessary for overall well-being.
6. Good for mental health
Several studies suggest that consuming ginger could have positive effects on mental health. Including ginger in Parkin could contribute to improved mood, reduced stress and increased cognitive function.
Enjoying Parkin in moderation can be a tasty way to incorporate these potential health benefits into your diet. Whether you enjoy a slice of tea with a warm cup of tea or share it with loved ones, Parkin offers a delicious treat that might be good for you too!