Indulge in the art of Italian baking with our recipe for Pane di tre sorelle or Three Sisters Bread. This authentic bread combines the perfect blend of three grains, giving it a unique and savory taste that will transport you straight to the Italian countryside. Handcrafted with love, this traditional bread showcases Italy’s rich culinary heritage and the connection between wheat, rye and barley. Enjoy a slice of this aromatic masterpiece and experience the true essence of Italian cuisine in every bite.
- 100 ml apple juice (preferably the cloudy type)
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 1 packet of yeast for easy mixing
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 85g wheat grain or use Ebly (sold as pasta wheat) or Faro – or use half sunflower seeds and half wheat grains
- 85 g brown lentils (not green Puy lentils)
- 85g risotto rice
- 200g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 200g strong white bread flour
- 2½ tsp fine sea salt
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 100 ml apple juice (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for kneading
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary or thyme (or a combination)
- Make the sponge by heating 100ml water with apple juice in a small pan or in the microwave until lukewarm.
- Once heated in a pan, pour the liquid into a large bowl and stir in honey and yeast. Beat with a whisk until dissolved.
- Stir in the flour and stir until well combined. Let the sponge cake stand in a warm place for 2 hours, stirring once or twice.
- While the sponge cake rises, heat 400 ml of water with wheat grains, lentils and rice in a saucepan. Simmer for 5 minutes, then cover and leave in a warm place for 2 hours.
- Drain the grains briefly in a colander to remove any water that has not been absorbed.
- To make the dough, mix the flour and salt in a separate bowl.
- Pour warm water, apple juice and olive oil into the risen sponge. Mix with a large whisk.
- Stir in the soaked seeds and rosemary with a whisk.
- Add the flour mixture to the dough and press together with your hands.
- Pour olive oil over the dough and cover the bowl for 10 minutes.
- Pour olive oil onto your hands and spread it over the work surface. Place the dough on top and knead it lightly 10 to 12 times.
- When the dough looks smooth, shape it into a ball. Return it to the bowl and cover. Let rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Knead the dough carefully again and put it in the bowl for 30 minutes.
- Place a large, clean tea towel folded in half lengthwise on a large baking sheet. Dust well with flour.
- On an oiled surface, shape the dough into a 30 x 23 cm rectangle.
- Take the two corners at one short end and fold them toward the center to form a point. Press down. Repeat with the other short end.
- Fold the dough in half lengthwise, creating two pointed ends. Press the long connection to close.
- Place the dough diagonally on the cloth with the seam facing up and wrap it tightly.
- Let the dough rise in a warm place for 2 to 21?2 hours, or until it has almost doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7/fan 200°C.
- Unwrap the dough and place it, seam side down, on a floured baking sheet.
- Using a very sharp knife, make three to four evenly spaced cuts, cutting sideways into the top of the dough.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes, until a rich brown color.
- Cool the bread on a wire rack and eat within 3 days of making it.
Equipment and tools
To prepare Pane di Tre Sorelle you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowls
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking tray or bread pan
- baking paper
- Cooling rack
- Pastry brush
- Sharp knife
This recipe for Pane di Tre Sorelle contains the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover Pane di Tre Sorelle, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. You can also freeze the bread for later use. To freeze, wrap the bread tightly in cling film or aluminum foil and place it in a freezer bag. It can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the bread at room temperature and reheat if necessary.
Health benefits of “Pane di tre sorelle”
Pane di tre sorelle, also known as “Bread of the Three Sisters,” is a hearty and nutritious bread that brings together a combination of ingredients rich in essential nutrients. From apple juice to lentils to whole grains, each component contributes numerous health benefits. Let’s explore the health benefits of Pane di Tre Sorelle ingredients:
1. Apple juice
Apple juice, preferably the cloudy type, not only adds flavor but also contributes to the nutritional value of Pane di tre sorelle. It is a good source of vitamin C, which strengthens the immune system and helps protect against various diseases. Additionally, apple juice contains antioxidants that can reduce the risk of heart disease and promote digestive health.
2. Clear honey
Clear honey adds a natural sweetness to bread while providing potential health benefits. It has antimicrobial properties and can help relieve coughs and sore throats. Honey also contains antioxidants that can protect the body from free radicals and support overall well-being.
3. Simple yeast mix
The addition of easy-to-mix yeast in Pane di Tre Sorelle is crucial to ensuring the bread rises and has a fluffy consistency. Yeast is a rich source of B vitamins, which play an important role in metabolism and energy production. It also contains minerals such as zinc and selenium, which contribute to immune function and cell protection.
4. Wheat grain or sunflower seeds
Pane di tre sorelle offers flexibility in choosing wheat grain or sunflower seeds. Both options provide a good amount of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. These ingredients are also rich in essential fatty acids such as Omega-3 and Omega-6, which have positive effects on heart health.
5. Brown lentils
Brown lentils contain lots of protein and fiber, making them an excellent addition to this bread recipe. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, while fiber helps regulate blood sugar levels and supports a healthy digestive system. Lentils are also an excellent source of iron, which is crucial for oxygen transport and energy production in the body.
6. Risotto rice
Risotto rice gives Pane di Tre Sorelle a unique texture and flavor. This type of rice is known for its high starch content, which ensures a slow and steady release of energy. It also contains vitamins and minerals such as manganese and magnesium, which support bone health and enzyme function in the body.
7. Olive oil
Olive oil is a healthy fat option that adds moisture and richness to bread. It is an excellent source of monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that contribute to overall well-being.
8. Fresh rosemary or thyme
Adding fresh rosemary or thyme not only enhances the flavor but also brings potential health benefits. These herbs contain essential oils with antimicrobial properties that can support the immune system. They are also rich in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation in the body.
Incorporating pane di tre sorelle into your diet can provide you with a variety of nutrients that support overall health and well-being. From immune-boosting vitamin C to heart-healthy fats, every ingredient in this bread contributes to a nutritious and delicious end product.