A delicious combination of orzo pasta, vibrant spinach, and juicy cherry tomatoes, this recipe is wonderfully similar to a creamy risotto. Thanks to the quick preparation time, it is the perfect choice for a nutritious and filling meal. Packed with flavor, this dish is not only incredibly delicious, but also suitable for vegetarians, making it an ideal addition to any plant-based menu. Give it a try and enjoy a delicious mix of textures and an abundance of fresh, healthy ingredients.
- 400g orzo pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 celery heart, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 x 400g cans of cherry tomatoes
- 250g baby spinach
- 10 black olives, halved
- small handful of dill, chopped
- small handful of mint, chopped
- Cook the orzo according to package directions.
- Drain, rinse under cold water, drain again and mix with half of the olive oil.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan.
- Add celery, onion and some seasoning and cook until softened, 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach and cover with a lid to wilt the leaves.
- Add orzo, olives, dill and mint.
- Season and serve.
Equipment and tools
- Pot for cooking pasta
- Large frying pan or frying pan
- cutting board
- Knife for chopping
- tin opener
- Measure tablespoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula for stirring
This recipe may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from this delicious orzo with spinach and cherry tomatoes, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the dish to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, simply heat your desired portion in the microwave or on the stove and add a splash of water or olive oil to prevent drying out.
Health Benefits of Orzo with Spinach and Cherry Tomatoes
Orzo with spinach and cherry tomatoes is a delicious dish that will not only satisfy your taste buds but also provide numerous health benefits. Packed with nutrient-dense ingredients like orzo pasta, spinach, cherry tomatoes, and olive oil, this recipe offers a healthy and flavorful option for your meals.
1. Orzo pasta
Orzo pasta, also known as risoni, is a type of pasta shaped like grains of rice. Despite their small size, orzo pasta is rich in nutrients. It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, which provide consistent energy release and help keep you fuller for longer. In addition, orzo contains fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy gut.
2. Olive oil
Olive oil is a staple of Mediterranean cuisine and is widely valued for its health benefits. It’s rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains antioxidants that fight inflammation in the body and protect against chronic diseases.
Adding spinach to this dish gives this dish a bright green color and numerous health benefits. Spinach is a nutritional powerhouse and contains vitamins A, C and K as well as folic acid and iron. These nutrients contribute to healthy immune function, collagen production and bone health.
4. Cherry tomatoes
Not only are cherry tomatoes delicious, but they also offer a number of health benefits. These bright red gemstones are rich in antioxidants, particularly lycopene, which is known for its potential cancer-fighting properties. Cherry tomatoes are also low in calories and high in fiber, making them a good choice for weight management.
5. Black olives
Black olives are a great addition to this recipe, both for their flavor and their health benefits. Olives are a good source of healthy fats, especially monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. They also contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that contribute to overall health.
6. Fresh herbs: dill and mint
The addition of fresh herbs like dill and mint enhances the flavor profile of this dish while providing additional health benefits. Herbs are often rich in antioxidants and are used in traditional medicine for their diverse medicinal properties. Dill is known for its potential digestive properties, while mint often has a calming effect on the stomach and can help relieve digestive discomfort.
Overall, this spinach and cherry tomato orzo recipe is a healthy and nutritious choice for any meal. By incorporating these ingredients into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious meal that supports your overall well-being.