This humble southern Italian dish, orecchiette with anchovies and purple broccoli, is a real treat for the taste buds. Thanks to the combination of anchovies, purple broccoli and a touch of chili and lemon juice, every bite is packed with flavor. The pasta is cooked perfectly al dente and ensures a satisfying consistency. To make the dish even more refined, it is topped with crispy fried breadcrumbs that give it an irresistible crunch. With its simplicity and exquisite flavors, this orecchiette dish is a must for lovers of Italian cuisine.
- 200g orecchiette
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 6 anchovy fillets in oil, chopped (reserve 1 tablespoon oil)
- 4 thick garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- Zest of 1 lemon and juice of ½
- 50g fresh breadcrumbs
- 200g purple sprouted broccoli
- Cook the orecchiette according to the package instructions.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon oil from the anchovies in a pan.
- Add the garlic and chilli and sizzle for 3-4 minutes until the garlic just starts to turn golden brown.
- Add anchovies and lemon juice and cook for another 1-2 minutes until the anchovies are melted into the sauce.
- Add the remaining olive oil, breadcrumbs and lemon zest to another pan, stir and fry until crispy.
- When the pasta is still 4-5 minutes ready, add the broccoli to the pan.
- Once cooked, drain, reserving a cup of pasta water and adding it to the pan along with the garlic and anchovies.
- Stir and cook over low heat for another 2 minutes. If it looks dry, add a splash of pasta water.
- Season and then serve in pasta bowls, sprinkled with the lemon crumbs.
Equipment and tools
To prepare this anchovy and purple broccoli orecchiette recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- cutting board
This anchovy and purple broccoli orecchiette recipe contains the following allergens:
- Fish – anchovies
- Gluten – Orecchiette (contains wheat)
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers from your anchovy and purple broccoli orecchiette, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat leftovers in a skillet or microwave until warmed through.
Please note that the texture of the noodles may change slightly when reheated, but the taste will still be delicious.
Health Benefits of Orecchiette with Anchovies and Purple Sprouting Broccoli
Orecchiette with anchovies and purple broccoli is not only a delicious and filling dish, it also offers several health benefits. Let’s explore the nutritional benefits of the ingredients used in this recipe:
Orecchiette is a type of pasta made from durum wheat semolina and provides important carbohydrates for energy. It is also a good source of fiber, which aids digestion, promotes a healthy gut, and helps maintain satiety.
Using olive oil in this recipe provides healthy monounsaturated fats. These fats may help reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol, and support brain health.
Even though they are small, anchovy fillets are nutritious. They’re rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which have been shown to reduce inflammation and promote heart health. Anchovies also contain calcium, iron and vitamin D, which are essential for strong bones and overall immune function.
Purple sprouting broccoli
Purple sprouting broccoli is a vibrant and nutrient-dense vegetable. It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K as well as fiber. These vitamins are known for their antioxidant properties, which can help protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Additionally, the fiber content in broccoli supports healthy digestion and can help with weight control.
Note: Feel free to adjust the ingredient quantities to suit your taste preferences and dietary needs. Always consult a doctor or nutritionist if you have any specific dietary concerns or restrictions.
Now let’s move on to the cooking instructions:
- Cook the orecchiette al dente according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chopped anchovy fillets and cook for 1-2 minutes until they begin to break down.
- Add the sliced garlic, red chili and lemon peel to the pan. Sauté for another 2-3 minutes until the garlic turns golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the cooked orecchiette and purple sprouted broccoli to the pan and mix well with the anchovy and garlic mixture.
- In a separate small pan, heat the reserved anchovy oil. Add the breadcrumbs and cook until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Squeeze the juice of half a lemon over the pasta and broccoli mixture, then sprinkle the golden breadcrumbs on top.
- Serve hot and enjoy your nutritious orecchiette with anchovies and purple sprouting broccoli!
Remember that cooking is a creative process. So don’t be afraid to add your own personal touch to this recipe. Bon appetit!