Bring on the Halloween spirit with these delicious Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies. Perfect for trick-or-treating, these cookies are not only delicious but also make for a fun activity. Gather your family a day or two before your spooky gathering to prepare these tasty treats. The recipe is simple and easy to follow, giving you plenty of time to fill out the pumpkin faces before your guests arrive. These cookies will be a hit at any Halloween gathering, so don’t miss the chance to impress your spooky guests!
- 140 g butter, soft
- 175g plain flour
- 50g powdered sugar
- finely grated zest of 1 medium-sized orange
- 100g mascarpone
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- 25 g dark chocolate (55% cocoa content is fine), melted
- 50g powdered sugar
- about 1 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to fan oven 160°C/bottom heat 180°C/gas 4.
- Place the butter in a bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- Add the flour, powdered sugar and orange peel to the bowl and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Knead the dough into a ball and wrap it in cling film. Chill for 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about 3mm thick.
- Using a 7.5cm round cutter, cut out 24 circles.
- Place the circles on a few baking sheets.
- Using a small sharp knife, cut out Halloween faces from 12 circles.
- Gather the remaining sponge cake dough, press it into pumpkin stems and cut with a sharp knife.
- Using a knife, press the pumpkin stem shapes to the top of each cookie to seal them together.
- Using the back of a round-bladed knife, draw lines on the face cookies that look like the markings on a pumpkin.
- Bake all cookies for about 15 minutes or until light golden.
- Let it set for a while, then cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix the glaze ingredients together to form a smooth, runny glaze, adding a little more juice if necessary.
- Set the glaze aside.
- For the filling, mix the mascarpone with the powdered sugar in a separate bowl.
- Stir the cooled melted chocolate into the filling mixture.
- Spread the filling over the cooled cookies.
- Just before eating, press the “face cookies” onto the filled cookies.
- Brush the cookies with the icing using a clean brush or pastry brush.
- Eat the cookies the same day.
Equipment and tools
Before you start making these delicious orange pumpkin face cookies, make sure you have the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer or hand mixer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Baking paper or silicone baking mat
- Pastry bag or ziplock bag
- Sharp knife or small decorating spatula
To ensure the safety of everyone who enjoys these Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies, please note the following allergen information:
- Contains dairy products: butter, mascarpone, dark chocolate
- Contains gluten: plain flour
Please note that despite precautionary measures, cross-contamination can occur.
Storage and leftovers
If you don’t finish all of the delicious Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies in one go, here are some storage tips:
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before storing.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
- The cookies stay fresh for up to 3-4 days.
If you want to enjoy the cookies longer:
- You can freeze the baked cookies in an airtight container or freezer bag for up to 3 months.
- Thaw the cookies at room temperature before serving.
- Do not freeze the cookies once they are decorated.
Health Benefits of Orange Pumpkin Facial Cookies
The Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies not only offer a delicious taste but also bring various health benefits. These delicious cookies are the perfect treat for fall and Halloween celebrations. Packed with orange and pumpkin flavors, they make for a unique and healthy snacking experience. Let’s take a look at the health benefits they offer:
1. Immune-boosting properties
The inclusion of orange peel in these cookies gives these cookies a hint of citrus flavor while also providing an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C is known for its immune-boosting properties and helps strengthen your body’s defenses against infection and disease.
2. Good source of antioxidants
Pumpkin is a rich source of antioxidants such as beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A in the body. These antioxidants help protect your cells from damage caused by harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Supports digestion
The combination of butter and flour in the cookie dough provides a good amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. A healthy gut is crucial for overall well-being.
4. Nutritious alternative
These Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies are made with mascarpone, a creamy Italian cheese. Mascarpone is a good source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. It also provides protein, which is important for muscle repair and growth.
5. Mood-enhancing effect
Chocolate lovers will be pleased to know that these cookies contain a hint of melted dark chocolate. Dark chocolate contains natural compounds that can improve mood and increase the production of endorphins, the “feel-good” hormones in our bodies.
6. Simple and low sugar option
Compared to many store-bought cookies, these Orange Pumpkin Face Cookies are made with minimal added sugar. Additionally, using orange juice for the glaze provides a natural sweetness without excessive sugar content.
Now that you are aware of the numerous health benefits that these orange pumpkin face cookies offer, you can enjoy them guilt-free. Gather the ingredients and enjoy preparing these delicious treats that not only bring joy, but are also good for your well-being!