If you were given a panettone for Christmas but aren’t sure what to do with it, try this super quick, special stack cake. Our irresistible Orange Glazed Panettone Cake is a delicious mix of fluffy panettone layers generously coated with tangy orange icing. The zesty citrus flavor pairs beautifully with the sweet, buttery dough of the traditional Italian cake. This impressive creation will impress your guests with its stunning layers and heavenly taste. Perfect for any celebration or as a treat during the holidays. Upgrade your panettone experience with this easy-to-make, show-stopping dessert!
- 500g boxed fruity panettone (or try a chocolate version)
- 500g can of mascarpone
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- Silver balls for decorating (optional)
- Juice of 2 oranges, zest of 1
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp Grand Marnier
- Make the syrup first. Gently heat all the ingredients together until the sugar has dissolved, then cook for 1 minute or until the mixture has just thickened. Let cool down.
- Meanwhile, trim off the rounded top of the panettone (this is the cooking benefit for later!), then use a serrated knife to cut the rest into four horizontal slices.
- Mix together the mascarpone, orange peel and powdered sugar.
- Stack the slices, gradually drizzling a little orange syrup over each piece, and using about 2 tablespoons of mascarpone to bring each layer together.
- Once you’re done stacking, top with the rest of the mascarpone in a swirl – a spatula works best for this.
- Sprinkle with a few silver balls if desired, then serve immediately or chill for up to 2 hours and then sprinkle with the balls at the last minute.
Equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Big spoon
- Round cake tin
- parchment paper
- Cooling rack
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Gluten (from panettone)
- Dairy products (from mascarpone)
Please ensure that the ingredients used are suitable for your dietary needs.
Storage and leftovers:
Store leftover orange glazed panettone cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. Alternatively, you can store it in the fridge for up to a week.
If desired, you can serve the cake warm by heating individual slices in the microwave for a few seconds. However, keep in mind that the glaze may become softer.
For a festive touch, decorate the cake with silver balls before serving.
Health Benefits of Panettone Cake with Orange Glaze
The Orange Frosted Panettone Cake is not only a delicious dessert but also offers several health benefits thanks to its nutritious ingredients. Let’s explore the health benefits of each component:
The fruity panettone in the box weighing 500g is the main ingredient of this cake. It contains various dried fruits such as raisins, candied orange peel and sometimes even cherries. These fruits provide important vitamins, minerals and fiber that promote health. They are rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
The 500g tin of mascarpone used in this recipe gives the cake a rich and creamy consistency. Although it is a high fat ingredient, it contains beneficial nutrients such as calcium, phosphorus, and vitamins A and D. Calcium is important for maintaining strong bones and teeth, while vitamins A and D are essential for healthy vision and immune function are.
The peel of an orange not only enhances the flavor of the cake but also provides additional health benefits. Orange peel is full of vitamins, especially vitamin C, which is crucial for a strong immune system. It also contains fiber, which aids digestion and supports a healthy gut.
While powdered sugar is used in small amounts for the icing, it is important to note that excessive sugar consumption is not recommended for a healthy diet. However, it can still be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced lifestyle. The sugar adds a touch of sweetness to the frosting, improving the overall flavor of the cake.
A tablespoon of Grand Marnier, a flavored liqueur made from oranges, gives the frosting a distinctive flavor. It also contains the essence and oils of oranges, which provide additional vitamin C and antioxidants. However, like any alcoholic drink, it should be consumed responsibly.
Silver balls (optional)
Silver balls are often used as cake decorations. Although they do not offer any direct health benefits, they add a festive touch to the dessert and make it visually appealing.
In summary, the Orange Frosted Panettone Cake contains several healthy ingredients. From the nutritious fruits in the panettone to the vitamin-rich orange peel, each component contributes to the overall flavor and nutritional value of this delicious dessert.