On this page you will find an appetizing recipe for a delicious dish called “One-Pot Lentil Chicken”. Please note that the recipe contains pork and is therefore aimed specifically at non-Muslims. Enjoy the convenience of this all-in-one meal that is a fantastic guilt-free dinner option. If you’re craving an even heartier meal, just add some potatoes to round out the flavor. Try this recipe and enjoy a healthy and tasty dining experience.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 slices lean, dry-cured bacon, cleaned and chopped
- 2 large bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 200 ml chicken broth
- 50g green lentils
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 85g chestnut mushrooms, halved if large
- Heat the oil in a wide, shallow nonstick skillet.
- Add the bacon to the pan and fry vigorously until lightly colored. Remove the bacon from the pan and transfer it to a plate.
- Add the chicken to the pan and brown lightly on each side. Set aside with the bacon.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and tomato puree and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add wine, broth, lentils and thyme to the pan.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms.
- Add the bacon and chicken back to the pan and press them into the liquid.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Equipment and tools
- Large pot or Dutch oven
- Knife for trimming and chopping bacon
- Tongs or slotted spoon to remove the chicken
- cutting board
- measuring spoon
- Tablespoon for measuring flour and tomato puree
- Measuring cup for liquids
- Wooden spoon for stirring
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Pork (from lean raw bacon)
Please note that if you have specific dietary restrictions or allergies, you may need to substitute ingredients or omit certain components entirely. Always check the ingredients and consult a doctor if necessary.
Storage and leftovers
Follow these guidelines to store leftovers of this one-pot lentil chicken:
- Allow the dish to cool completely.
- Place the chicken and lentil mixture in an airtight container.
- Refrigerate within 2 hours of cooking.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
When reheating leftovers, be sure to heat the dish thoroughly before eating.
Health Benefits of One Pot Lentil Chicken Recipe
The one-pot lentil chicken recipe is not only delicious and easy to prepare, but it also offers several health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this dish offers a balanced combination of lean protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this flavorful one-pot meal:
1. Lean protein
The recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs, which are a good source of lean protein. Protein is essential for muscle growth and repair, as well as the production of enzymes and hormones in the body.
2. Rich in fiber
Using green lentils in this recipe adds a significant amount of fiber. Fiber helps maintain a healthy digestive system, aids weight control, and reduces the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
3. Nutrient-rich mushrooms
The addition of chestnut mushrooms not only improves the taste but also brings various health benefits. Mushrooms are low in calories and an excellent source of essential nutrients such as vitamins B, D and minerals such as selenium and potassium.
4. Garlic and onions for immunity
Using garlic and onions in this recipe not only adds depth to the flavor but also provides immune-boosting properties. Garlic, in particular, contains compounds that have been shown to support the immune system and have antimicrobial effects.
5. Thyme for antioxidants
The addition of dried thyme not only gives the dish an intoxicating aroma, but also provides antioxidants that protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
6. Low saturated fat content
The recipe calls for lean, dry-cured bacon, which is a healthier alternative to regular bacon. Because the fat is removed, the saturated fat content of the dish is reduced compared to traditional bacon, making it a heart-friendly choice.
By incorporating the One Pot Lentil Chicken Recipe into your meal plan, you can enjoy a delicious meal while reaping the numerous health benefits it offers.