This One Pot Chicken Bacon Stew recipe is a delicious mix of tender chicken and crispy bacon, perfect for anyone who loves savory flavors. This recipe is full of savory goodness and is aimed at non-Muslims as it contains pork.
Give yourself the convenience of making a large batch of this delicious stew so you always have a filling meal ready when you feel hungry. With its soothing aroma and rich taste, your whole family will love this popular dish.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 16 bone-in chicken pieces (about 3kg total)
- 140g smoked bacon, chopped or speck or cubetti di pancetta
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thick slices
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 75 ml white wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1l chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons double cream or crème fraîche
- 600g small new potatoes, halved
- 12 large white mushrooms, quartered
- chopped herbs such as parsley, tarragon or chives
If it is in a suitable container, thaw it there
Place in the microwave and then reheat in the microwave
until piping hot.
Alternatively, thaw in the refrigerator
Cook overnight and reheat in a baking dish
at 160°C/140°C fan/gas 3 for 30-40 minutes
until piping hot.Freeze
The stew can be frozen for up to 2 months.
It’s best to freeze it in different sized portions
suitable for your household.
The stew is best frozen
microwave-safe plastic storage containers
that can be thawed and heated directly
in the microwave. You can also use a freezer
Bags – but it’s best to freeze them standing up
a bowl in case something spills.
Always label each container with the
Name of the dish, date of preparation
and the amount of servings it contains.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Heat the oil in a large, ovenproof pot with a lid.
- Fry the chicken pieces in batches for 5 minutes on each side until well browned, then transfer to a plate.
- Fry the bacon in the casserole for a few minutes until it becomes crispy.
- Stir in carrots and onions then cook until softened, 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour and tomato puree and cook for another minute.
- Finally add the vinegar and stir well.
- Pour in the broth and bring to the boil.
- Add bay leaf, cream and spices.
- Slide in the chicken pieces and scatter over the potatoes, turning everything a few times so that the potatoes are immersed in the sauce.
- Put the lid on and place in the oven.
- After 40 minutes, remove from the oven and stir in the mushrooms.
- Cover again and cook in the oven for another 10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and tender but not completely falling off the bone.
- Now you can turn off the heat and cool and freeze some or all of it (see freezing tips below).
- If you want to eat it immediately, let it cook for another 10 minutes, then sprinkle over the herbs and serve.
Equipment and tools
- Casserole dish or large pot
- Microwavable plastic storage containers
- freeze bag
- Bowl for freezing
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Wheat (found in flour)
- Milk (found in cream or crème fraîche)
Storage and leftovers
If it’s in a suitable container, thaw it in the microwave and then reheat it in the microwave until piping hot. Alternatively, defrost overnight in the fridge and heat in a baking dish at 160°C/140°C fan/gas mark 3 for 30-40 minutes until piping hot.
The stew can be frozen for up to 2 months. Freeze it in different sized portions depending on your household needs. The stew is best frozen in microwave-safe plastic containers that can be thawed and heated directly in the microwave. You can also use freezer bags – but it’s best to freeze them in a bowl in case of spills. Always label each container with the name of the dish, the date it was prepared, and the number of servings it contains.
Health Benefits of One Pot Chicken and Bacon Stew
A chicken and bacon stew is not only delicious and comforting, but it also offers several health benefits. This hearty dish combines the benefits of chicken, bacon, vegetables and herbs to create a nutritious meal full of essential nutrients.
1. Rich in protein
The chicken and bacon in this stew provide a significant amount of protein. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining a healthy immune system. Including protein-rich foods in your diet can promote satiety and help with weight control.
2. Rich in vitamins and minerals
This stew contains various vegetables such as carrots, onions and mushrooms which contribute to its vitamin and mineral content. Carrots are a great source of vitamin A, which supports healthy vision and immune function. Onions provide vitamin C, which is important for collagen synthesis and immune system health. Mushrooms are rich in B vitamins, selenium and potassium, which support energy production, immune function and heart health.
3. Provides fiber
Thanks to the addition of vegetables and potatoes, this stew is also a good source of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system, promoting regular bowel movements and preventing constipation. A high-fiber diet can also help regulate blood sugar levels and support heart health.
4. Antioxidant properties
Certain ingredients in this stew, such as tomatoes and herbs such as parsley, tarragon or chives, have antioxidant properties. Antioxidants protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals and may reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
5. Versatile and customizable
This one-pot chicken and bacon stew recipe allows for versatility and customization to personal preferences and dietary needs. You can adjust the ingredients to use more vegetables, reduce the fat content, or accommodate specific dietary restrictions. It is a flexible dish that can be adapted to different tastes and dietary needs.
When you enjoy a bowl of chicken and bacon stew, you can not only enjoy the flavorful combination but also reap the health benefits. Whether you’re looking for a comforting and nutritious meal or a dish that will tantalize your taste buds, this stew is a great choice.