Bake this incredibly flavorful focaccia with the delicious combination of olives, cherry tomatoes and tangy feta cheese. Inspired by vibrant Mediterranean cuisine, this irresistible treat is perfect for enjoying al fresco on a sunny picnic day. The savory goodness of the olives, the sweetness of the tomatoes and the creamy, crumbly feta make this focaccia an absolute delight for the taste buds.
For a more versatile option, you can also try a classic simple focaccia by omitting the olives, tomatoes and feta. This reliable and easy option guarantees a soft, fluffy bread that goes perfectly with various toppings or as a standalone snack. Whatever your preference, this focaccia recipe will delight you with its Mediterranean flair and delicious flavors.
- 500g strong bread flour, plus some flour for dusting
- 7 g bag of fast-acting dry yeast
- 5 tbsp olive oil, plus some for the can
- 200g cherry tomatoes, halved (a mixture of colors looks good)
- small bunch of oregano, leaves picked, or use 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 150 g Kalamata olives, pitted
- 100g feta, crumbled
- In a large bowl, mix flour, yeast and 2 teaspoons salt.
- Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the mixture.
- Slowly pour in 350 ml of lukewarm water while stirring constantly. Mix until a slightly sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is soft and less sticky.
- Place the dough in a clean bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rise for 1 hour until doubled in size.
- Generously oil a shallow rectangular baking pan (20 x 30 cm).
- Pour the dough into the pan and stretch it out with your hands until it reaches the corners.
- Cover the pan with a clean tea towel and let the dough rise for another 35-45 minutes.
- In a bowl, season the tomatoes and add the oregano and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Mix the tomatoes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Press the tomato halves evenly into the dough, then do the same with the olives.
- Crumble the feta over the dough and press everything down lightly again with your fingertips.
- Drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the dough and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the focaccia is deep golden and risen.
- While the bread is still hot, drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over it.
- Let the bread cool completely in the tin and then cut it into slices.
- Wrap the focaccia in the tin for a picnic or wrap individual squares.
- The focaccia will stay fresh for up to two days if wrapped or stored in an airtight container.
Equipment and tools
Here are some essential equipment and tools you’ll need to make olive, cherry tomato, and feta focaccia:
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- baking tray
- parchment paper
Please note the following allergen information for Olive, Cherry Tomato and Feta Focaccia:
- This recipe contains gluten from the bread flour.
- It also contains dairy products from the feta cheese.
- If you suffer from a tomato allergy, you can leave out or replace the cherry tomatoes.
Storage and leftovers
To keep your olive, cherry tomato and feta focaccia fresh and delicious:
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- If you prefer a warm portion, heat it in the oven or toaster.
- You can also freeze leftovers by wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap or placing them in a freezer-safe container for up to a month.
- Thaw frozen focaccia in the refrigerator overnight before reheating.
Health Benefits of Olive, Cherry Tomato and Feta Focaccia
Olive, cherry tomato and feta focaccia is not only a delicious and filling bread, but it also offers several health benefits. This combination of ingredients ensures a balanced distribution of nutrients, making it a healthy and nutritious choice for your diet. Let’s explore the health benefits each component offers:
One of the main ingredients in this focaccia is olive oil. Olive oil is an important part of the Mediterranean diet, known for its numerous health benefits. The monounsaturated fats found in olive oil may help reduce the risk of heart disease and lower cholesterol levels. It also contains antioxidants that protect the body from inflammation and oxidative stress.
The recipe calls for cherry tomatoes, which not only add a pop of color but also provide several health benefits. Cherry tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins, especially vitamin C and potassium. Vitamin C is important for boosting the immune system and promoting healthy skin, while potassium helps regulate blood pressure and maintain proper heart function. In addition, cherry tomatoes are full of antioxidants, which protect the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Oregano, whether fresh or dried, gives focaccia a delicious flavor. It is also known for its medicinal properties. Oregano contains compounds with antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory effects, making it beneficial for fighting infections and reducing inflammation in the body. In addition, oregano is a good source of antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage caused by toxins.
Kalamata olives are a Greek olive variety known for their distinct flavor. They are rich in healthy monounsaturated fats, which promote heart health by lowering bad cholesterol levels. Olives are also a good source of vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that protects cells from damage and supports healthy skin. In addition, they provide minerals such as iron, calcium and magnesium, which are essential for various body functions.
Feta cheese gives the focaccia a creamy and tangy taste. Although feta cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high sodium content, it does provide some health benefits. It is an excellent source of calcium and promotes strong bones and teeth. Feta cheese is also rich in proteins, which are essential for muscle growth and repair. Additionally, it contains probiotics that support healthy gut bacteria and improve digestion.
By incorporating olive, cherry tomato and feta focaccia into your diet, you will reap a number of health benefits. From the heart-healthy properties of olive oil to the antioxidant-rich tomatoes to the nutritional value of olives and feta cheese, this bread offers a filling and nutritious option for your meal.