Introducing our tempting recipe for olive bread swirls! These delicious rolls are full of flavor and will impress your guests. Made with a heavenly combination of olives and soft, fluffy bread, they are the perfect accompaniment to any lunch party. The savory scent wafting from your oven will have everyone eagerly waiting to enjoy these delicious treats. Their golden crust and tender interior make them simply irresistible. Whether as an appetizer or a side dish, our olive bread swirls make every gathering a special experience and leave your palate wanting more.
- 500g strong white flour, plus some flour for rolling
- 1 tsp salt
- 7g bag of easy-to-mix dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus some for brushing
- small bunch of basil
- 170 g pitted black olives (approx. 200 g pitted weight)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 canned anchovies (optional)
- 50g pitted green olives
On the way to the party
Make the bread
swirls up to 24
hours ahead and
Keep in room
do up to two
months in advance
in the can, covered
with cling film.
Warm up for 10 minutes
Convection/gas 6 oven.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, salt, yeast, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 300 ml warm water until a soft dough forms.
- Knead for 10 minutes by hand or 5 minutes with the dough hook in a food processor or mixer.
- Return the dough to the cleaned mixing bowl and cover the bowl with oiled cling film.
- Let rise in a warm place for an hour until doubled in volume.
- In the meantime prepare the filling. Remove any hard basil stems (leaving the tender ones) and place them in a mini food processor or hand blender along with the black olives.
- Add 4 tablespoons olive oil, the garlic and anchovies, if using.
- Mix into a coarse paste.
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7.
- Line a shallow baking pan measuring approximately 30 x 20 cm with non-stick paper.
- Roll out the dough on a floured work surface into a rectangle measuring approximately 30 x 40 cm.
- Spread the olive paste throughout and arrange the whole green olives in a row along one of the short edges.
- Roll up the dough like a sponge roll, starting at the short, olive-crusted end to create a sausage shape.
- Cut the dough into 12 slices and carefully lift each one into the mold, creating 4 rows of 3 swirl shapes each.
- Lightly brush everything with the remaining olive oil.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and then let rise until slightly puffed and filling the mold, about 20 minutes.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown, then let cool in the tin.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- measuring spoon
- rolling pin
- baking tray
- Pastry brush
- cling film
This recipe contains wheat (flour) and fish (anchovies) as allergens. Depending on the brand of olive used, it may also contain traces of nuts and other allergens.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover olive bread rolls, they can be stored at room temperature for up to 24 hours. Alternatively, you can make them in advance and freeze them in a plastic freezer bag for up to two months. To serve, thaw then reheat in a 200°C/180°C fan/gas oven for 10 minutes. When transporting the strudels, cover the tin with cling film to keep them fresh.
Health Benefits of Olive Bread Strudels
In addition to being a delicious treat, olive bread rolls also offer several health benefits. This delicious pastry combines the benefits of olive oil, basil, black olives, green olives and garlic, making it a flavorful and nutritious choice. Let’s explore the health benefits of olive bread strudels!
1. Rich in antioxidants
Olive oil, a key ingredient in olive breadcrumbs, is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect the body from harmful free radicals, which can damage cells and contribute to various diseases. Including olive oil in your diet can potentially reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
2. Heart healthy
Consuming olive oil has been linked to promoting heart health. It contains monounsaturated fats, which may help lower “bad” cholesterol levels and increase “good” cholesterol levels. By incorporating olive bread slices into your diet, you can enjoy a heart-healthy snack that also satisfies your taste buds.
3. Nutrient rich
Olive bread rolls are made from strong white flour, which provides important nutrients. The flour contains vitamins, minerals and fiber that support overall health and digestion. It is a great source of energy and helps you feel fuller for longer.
4. Immune boosting
Basil, one of the ingredients in olive breadcrumbs, is known for its immune-boosting properties. It is a rich source of vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as iron and calcium. Including basil in your diet can help boost your immune system and protect against common illnesses.
5. Anti-inflammatory benefits
Both black and green olives used in olive breadcrumbs have anti-inflammatory effects. Olives contain compounds that have been shown to reduce inflammation in the body. By consuming olive bread slices, you can support the treatment of inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.
6. Tasteful alternative
In addition to their health benefits, olive breadcrumbs provide a flavorful alternative to regular bread or pastries. The combination of olive oil, basil, garlic and olives creates a delicious flavor that can be enjoyed on its own or combined with dips, spreads or soups.
Overall, olive bread rolls are a nutritious and tasty choice for anyone looking to add a touch of Mediterranean flavor to their diet. Whether you enjoy them as a snack or as part of a meal, the ingredients in these swirls provide numerous health benefits while satisfying your culinary cravings.