“Oat Apple Crumble is the ultimate comfort food dessert that combines the deliciousness of warm, juicy apples and the healthy goodness of oats. This recipe takes the classic streusel to a whole new level by including a healthy dose of oats. The result is a delicious, crunchy topping that perfectly complements the sweet, tender apples underneath. What’s special about this recipe is its incredible convenience – you can easily make one batch to enjoy immediately and freeze another for later. So treat yourself to the heartwarming taste of this oat apple crumble today – it’s comfort food at its finest!”
- 1 bag or 6 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- 1 bag or 6 eating apples, peeled, cored and cut into pieces
- 85g powdered sugar
- 100g sultanas or raisins
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 50g honey
- 250g pack of butter
- 300g oats
- 300g plain flour
- 100g almond flakes
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Cook the apples with the powdered sugar in a large pot, stirring occasionally.
- Add a splash of water if they stick to the bottom.
- When it is almost tender and a little spicy, stir in the sultanas or raisins.
- Pour the mixture into 2 large ovenproof dishes.
- Melt brown sugar, honey and butter in a large skillet.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the oats, flour, almonds and cinnamon until the mixture is sticky and crumbly.
- Spread the crumble mixture over the apples.
- If you want to bake straight away, preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/Gas 4.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes until the topping is golden brown and crispy.
- To freeze, wrap the dishes well or freeze the fruit and crumble mixture in separate freezer bags.
- If cooking from frozen, cover with foil and bake at 180C/160C fan/Gas 4 for 1½ hours.
- Then turn the oven up to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 8 and bake for a further 45 minutes, removing the foil in the last 15 minutes.
Equipment and tools
To make this delicious oat apple crumble you will need the following equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- Oven-safe dishes
This oat apple crumble recipe may contain allergens. Please read and understand the ingredients used and their potential allergens. The following allergens are included in this recipe:
- Gluten (from oats and flour)
- Dairy products (from butter)
- Tree nuts (from almond flakes)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover oat apple crumble in an airtight container or cover with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. It can be stored for up to 3 days. To reheat the streusel, simply place it in a preheated oven at 180°C for about 10 minutes, or until warmed through. Enjoy!
Health Benefits of Oat Apple Crumble
The combination of oats, apples and various other healthy ingredients makes Oaty Apple Crumble not only a delicious but also a nutritious dessert. This article explores some of the health benefits associated with this delicious dish.
Apples are the main ingredient in Oaty Apple Crumble and provide a wide range of essential nutrients. They are a great source of fiber, especially soluble fiber known as pectin. The high fiber content in apples promotes healthy digestion, prevents constipation and maintains a healthy weight.
In addition, apples are rich in antioxidants such as flavonoids and vitamin C. Antioxidants help reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, certain cancers and neurodegenerative diseases by protecting the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals.
Oats are another key ingredient in this recipe and are best known for their heart-healthy properties. They are a rich source of soluble fiber, particularly a type called beta-glucan. Eating foods high in soluble fiber can help lower cholesterol, control blood sugar levels, and support a healthy cardiovascular system.
In addition to their fiber content, oats also provide important nutrients such as manganese, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc. These minerals play important roles in various body functions, including energy production, bone health, and immune system support.
Nutty enjoyment with flaked almonds
Adding slivered almonds to the streusel mix not only adds a delicious crunch, but also adds to their nutritional value. Almonds are packed with healthy monounsaturated fats, which have been linked to reduced risk of heart disease and improved cholesterol levels.
In addition, almonds are a good source of vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from oxidative damage. These nuts also provide important minerals like magnesium, essential for maintaining healthy blood pressure, and phosphorus, essential for bone health.
Cinnamon’s health boost
Incorporating ground cinnamon into Oaty Apple Crumble provides more than just a warm, comforting taste. Cinnamon has been proven to have numerous health benefits, including the potential to improve blood sugar control, reduce inflammation, and lower cholesterol.
Cinnamon also contains powerful antioxidants such as polyphenols, which can help protect the body from oxidative stress and ward off various diseases.
To sum up, Oaty Apple Crumble is not only a delicious dessert but also a dish full of health benefits. From the fiber-rich apples to heart-healthy oatmeal to the nutty almonds, each ingredient brings its own nutritional value. So treat yourself to this tasty treat and benefit from a dessert that is both delicious and good for you!