Neeps & Tatties Soup is a traditional Scottish dish that is both hearty and comforting. Made with a delicious combination of beets (neeps) and potatoes (tatties), this soup is full of flavor and perfect for chilly days. Our recipe puts a modern twist on this classic dish, adding depth with a blend of aromatic herbs and spices. Every spoonful of this heartwarming soup provides a filling and nutritious meal that leaves you feeling satisfied. Whether as a starter or main course, Neeps & Tatties soup will warm your heart and tantalize your taste buds.
- 25g butter
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ medium-sized swede (approx. 200 g), peeled and cut into small pieces
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, cut into small pieces
- 140g potatoes, cut into small pieces
- good grated nutmeg
- 400 ml milk
- 140g cooked haggis or black pudding, chopped or crumbled into pieces
- 2 tbsp double cream
- a few celery leaves, torn
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add coriander and vegetables and fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Cover with 400 ml water and bring to the boil.
- Cook until all vegetables are tender – about 20-25 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add the milk.
- Place in a blender or puree with a hand blender until smooth.
- Return to pan to heat.
- For a really smooth consistency, strain the mixture through a sieve after pureeing.
- Check the seasoning and add a little more salt and nutmeg if desired.
- Meanwhile, heat the cooked haggis or black pudding in a frying pan until sizzling.
- Serve the soup in bowls.
- Top with haggis or black pudding, a dollop of double cream and the celery leaves.
Equipment and tools
- Stock pot or large pot
- cutting board
- Vegetable peeler
- spoon to stir
This recipe contains dairy products (butter, milk, double cream) and may contain gluten if using haggis or black pudding.
Storage and leftovers
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until heated through.
Health Benefits of Neeps & Tatties Soup
Health Benefits of Neeps & Tatties Soup
Neeps & Tatties Soup is a traditional Scottish dish that combines the flavors of turnips (also called neeps) and potatoes (also called tatties) with other healthy ingredients. This hearty soup not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers various health benefits.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
The combination of beets, carrots, celery, and potatoes ensures this soup is full of important vitamins and minerals. Turnips are an excellent source of vitamin C and provide vital minerals such as potassium and manganese. Carrots are rich in vitamin A and contribute to your daily fiber intake. Celery is rich in antioxidants and vitamin K, while potatoes are rich in vitamin B6 and potassium.
2. Supports digestive health
This soup’s fiber content, which comes from ingredients like beets, carrots, celery, and potatoes, promotes healthy digestion. Fiber helps regulate bowel movements, prevent constipation and maintain a healthy gut microbiome. Regular consumption of this soup can support digestive health and prevent indigestion.
3. Strengthens the immune system
The vitamin C content found in beets and carrots helps strengthen the immune system by supporting the production of white blood cells, which are responsible for fighting off infections and diseases. Incorporating Neeps & Tatties soup into your diet can help boost your immune system and maintain your health.
4. Provides sustainable energy
Neeps & Tatties Soup contains a balance of slow-release carbohydrates and healthy fats, making them an excellent source of sustained energy. The combination of potatoes, haggis or black pudding and milk provides a good mix of nutrients that will keep you feeling satisfied and energized throughout the day.
5. Nutrient-rich protein
Adding cooked haggis or black pudding to this soup gives the dish a protein-rich touch. Protein is essential for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth, and maintaining overall health. The inclusion of this ingredient makes Neeps & Tatties Soup a nutrient-dense meal for those looking to increase their protein intake.
6. Heart-healthy ingredients
Several ingredients in this soup, such as beets, carrots, and celery, contribute to heart health. This vegetable is low in calories and high in fiber, which may help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. The use of butter and cream should be in moderation to ensure a heart-healthy aspect to this recipe.
In summary, Neeps & Tatties Soup offers a range of health benefits including boosting your immune system, aiding digestion and providing a nutrient dense meal. By incorporating this soup into your diet, you can enjoy a delicious dish while providing your body with essential vitamins and minerals.