Perky Penguins is a delicious recipe that stimulates children’s imaginations. Prepare to be amazed as you guide your little ones through the process of making their very own chocolate penguins. Bright fruit pastilles and charming icing decorations add a whimsical winter touch to these delightful treats. Immerse yourself in a world of sweetness and creativity as you embark on this delicious culinary adventure with your children. Prepare for endless smiles and laughter as you watch your mini chefs bring these playful penguins to life, one piece at a time.
- 3 jumbo chocolate buttons
- 150g icing made from royal icing sugar
- 3 walnut whips
- 100g ready-to-roll chocolate flavored fondant icing
- 3 red fruit lozenges (we used Tesco as they look like woolly hats)
- 1 orange fruit pastille
- black lettering glaze
Make cheeky penguins with children
Naughty penguins are ideal for children aged 4 to 7 years. However, if you want to make a simpler version for younger children, leave out the hats. Cut the marshmallows with scissors and place the sticky side on the body. Using store-bought icing “eyes” or white chocolate chips, make an indentation with a pencil and press into the icing.
- Halve the jumbo chocolate buttons.
- Place each half in pairs with the rounded sides touching to form feet.
- Break off the top part of the walnut whip and discard.
- Add some royal icing to each pair of feet.
- Place a walnut whip on each pair of feet.
- Divide the fondant icing into three equal pieces.
- Take a piece and roll it out into a sausage shape.
- Make sure the sausage is fat in the middle and thin at both ends.
- Flatten the ends of the sausage to form fins.
- Place the sausage on the walnut whip.
- Form the fat middle part of the sausage into a head.
- Let the fins hang freely on the sides.
- Pour the remaining frosting into a piping bag or plastic bag.
- Cut a small piece off the end of the bag.
- Pipe a circle onto the front of each penguin.
- Pipe two dots onto each penguin as eyes.
- Pipe a circle on the head of each penguin.
- Glue a fruit pastille to each penguin’s head.
- Pipe a dollop onto each penguin’s head to create a pom-pom.
- Carefully cut three triangular pieces from the orange fruit pastille.
- Glue one to each penguin’s face.
- Using the black writing icing, pipe black dots into the center of each eye.
- Allow the penguins to set.
Equipment and tools
- Jumbo chocolate buttons
- Royal powdered sugar icing
- Walnut whips
- Ready-to-roll chocolate flavored fondant icing
- Red fruit pastilles
- Orange fruit pastille
- Black writing glaze
Naughty Penguins may contain the following allergens:
- Gluten (from the icing and fondant icing)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any cheeky penguins left, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days. The chocolate may melt if exposed to high temperatures. Therefore, keep them away from direct sunlight or heat sources. Enjoy them within the recommended storage time for optimal freshness.
Health Benefits of Naughty Penguins
In addition to being adorable treats, cheeky penguins also have several health benefits. Despite their indulgent appearance, these delicious penguin treats can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of Perky Penguins:
1. Dark Chocolate:
The jumbo chocolate buttons used in the recipe contain dark chocolate, which is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect our cells from free radical damage and can reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and cancer. Dark chocolate also contains flavonoids, which have been linked to improved heart health and cognitive function.
Walnut whips not only give the Perky Penguins a delicious crunch, but also have tons of health benefits. Walnuts are a great source of healthy fats, including omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for brain health. They also contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that contribute to heart health and may reduce the risk of chronic disease.
3. Fruit pastilles:
The red and orange fruit pastilles used for the penguin accessories provide a fruity flavor explosion. These candies contain real fruit juice and can contribute to your daily fruit intake, albeit in small amounts. Fruits are packed with essential vitamins, minerals and fiber necessary for maintaining good health and optimal body function.
4. Fondant Icing:
The roll-out chocolate flavored fondant icing used to shape the penguin’s bodies is a fun addition to the Perky Penguins. Although this ingredient adds a touch of sweetness and creativity, it should be enjoyed in moderation due to its high sugar content. Controlling your sugar intake is crucial for maintaining a balanced diet and reducing the risk of conditions such as obesity and type 2 diabetes.
Making naughty penguins with kids turns snack time into an opportunity to introduce them to healthier ingredients and involve them in a fun cooking experience. Remember to focus on moderation and enjoying these treats as part of an overall nutrient-dense diet.