Nasi Goreng with Coconut Shrimp is a tantalizing Indonesian dish that combines the rich flavors of fried rice with succulent shrimp in a crispy coconut crust. This delicious recipe is a perfect balance of sweet and savory, with a fragrant blend of spices and herbs that will transport your taste buds to the vibrant streets of Indonesia. The loose rice grains are stir-fried with vegetables, soy sauce and chili paste, creating a harmonious mix of textures and flavors. Every bite is a delicious explosion of flavor that will leave you wanting more. Try this exquisite dish and experience a culinary adventure like no other!
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chili paste or sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 450 g cooked rice (250 g raw weight)
- 80g peas
- 80g sweetcorn
- 280 ml vegetarian broth
- ½ tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp peanuts, crushed
- Juice of half a lime (optional)
- ½ tbsp coriander (optional), chopped
- FOR THE COCONUT SHRIMP
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- Small piece of fresh ginger root, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 200 ml can of chopped tomatoes
- 100g coconut cream
- 1 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced
- 16 tiger prawns
- In a large skillet or wok, saute onions, peppers, celery, and carrots in hot oil until softened.
- Add the chili paste and garlic, followed by the rice, and stir until the mixture becomes warm.
- Add peas, corn, broth and soy sauce – heat until very hot and season to taste.
- Fry onions, lemongrass, ginger and garlic in oil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in turmeric and coriander and fry for 1 minute.
- Mix the mixture with the tomatoes and coconut cream into a puree.
- Return to the pan with the mango chutney and chilli and simmer for 10 minutes or until a thick paste forms.
- Add the shrimp to the sauce and cook for a few minutes or until they turn pink.
- Add the fresh coriander and season with salt, pepper and lime juice.
- To serve, spread the lime over the rice.
- Garnish with peanuts, spring onions, chilli and coriander and serve with the prawns on the side.
Equipment and tools
To make coconut shrimp nasi goreng, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- cutting board
- A garlic press
- tablespoons and teaspoons
- Wooden spoon or spatula
This Coconut Shrimp Nasi Goreng recipe contains the following allergens:
- Coconut cream
- Soy sauce
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover coconut shrimp nasi goreng, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Make sure the dish is completely cool before storing it. When reheating, make sure the food is piping hot before serving.
Health Benefits of Nasi Goreng with Coconut Shrimp
Nasi Goreng with Coconut Shrimp is a delicious and aromatic dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits. This Indonesian-inspired dish combines the goodness of shrimp, vegetables and fragrant spices. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of this recipe.
1. Rich in protein
Shrimp is an excellent source of lean protein, making it a perfect addition to this dish. Protein is essential for repairing tissue, building muscle, and supporting overall growth and development.
2. Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids
Shrimp are also a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties. Omega-3 fatty acids have a positive effect on heart health, reducing the risk of heart disease and promoting brain health.
3. Packed with nutrients
The vegetables used in this recipe such as red bell pepper, celery, carrot, peas and sweet corn are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. These nutrients support the immune system, promote healthy digestion and help protect against chronic diseases.
4. Provides fiber
The use of vegetables and cooked rice in this dish ensures good fiber intake. Fiber helps regulate digestion, promotes satiety, and supports a healthy weight by preventing overeating.
5. Contains antioxidants
The spices used in this recipe such as garlic, turmeric, coriander and chili contain antioxidants that help fight free radicals in the body. Antioxidants reduce inflammation, protect against cell damage and can reduce the risk of certain diseases.
6. Coconut cream for creaminess
Coconut cream used in the shrimp sauce gives the dish a creamy and delicious texture. While coconut cream should be consumed in moderation due to its high calorie and fat content, coconut cream provides important minerals such as iron and magnesium.
7. Low saturated fat content
This recipe uses only a little oil and relies primarily on the natural flavors of the ingredients, meaning it contains relatively few saturated fatty acids. Lower intake of saturated fat promotes heart health and helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
Overall, Coconut Shrimp Nasi Goreng is a dish that not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers numerous health benefits. It is a balanced meal that provides protein, fiber, essential nutrients and antioxidants. So, enjoy this tasty and nutritious dish!