Looking for a delicious and healthier alternative for your weeknight dinner? Try our mustard and sage chicken with mashed celery recipe! By swapping potatoes for celery, we were able to reduce the calorie content of this dish without compromising on taste. The combination of juicy chicken with the aromatic flavors of mustard and sage is sure to tantalize your taste buds. And the best part? This filling meal can be prepared and on the table in under half an hour. Say goodbye to the mundane and hello to a tasty, guilt-free dinner!
- 1 celeriac, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3 chicken breasts, skinless
- 1 tbsp English mustard powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 100 g low-fat crème fraîche, plus 2 tbsp for the puree
- 1 cube of low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 275g cooked green vegetables, such as thin-stemmed broccoli, peas or savoy cabbage, for serving
- Place the celery in a bowl, add a splash of water and cover with cling film.
- Pierce the cling film and microwave on high for 10 minutes until really tender.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken breasts between two layers of cling film and press lightly with the rolling pin until they are evenly thick.
- Dust with mustard powder.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the chicken breasts and fry on both sides.
- Add the garlic and sage to the pan and stir the spaces between the chicken pieces for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Crumble in the bouillon cube.
- Pour 100 ml hot water and add 100 g crème fraîche.
- Stir the sauce around the chicken.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over medium heat for 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the mustard and season with plenty of black pepper.
- While the chicken is cooking, drain the liquid from the celeriac, season, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of crème fraîche and puree (or puree in a food processor).
- Serve with the chicken and some green vegetables.
Equipment and tools:
- mixing bowl
- baking pan
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (crème fraîche)
Storage and leftovers:
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, simply heat the chicken and celery puree in the microwave or oven until warmed through. However, for optimal quality, it is recommended to consume leftovers within 2 days.
Health Benefits of Mustard Sage Chicken with Celery Porridge
The Mustard and Sage Chicken with Celery Porridge recipe not only provides a delicious and filling meal but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at some of the key ingredients and the benefits they offer:
Celeriac, also known as celery root, is a nutrient-dense vegetable that contains many important vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin C, which boosts the immune system and promotes collagen production for healthy skin. Celery is also rich in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and supports proper heart function. In addition, it provides fiber, which aids digestion and promotes a healthy digestive tract.
2. Chicken breast
Skinless chicken breast is a lean source of protein, making it great for anyone looking to maintain or build muscle. Protein is essential for tissue repair, cell growth and overall function of the body. Chicken breast also contains essential amino acids that support the immune system and contribute to healthy hair, skin and nails.
3. Mustard powder
English mustard powder not only adds a delicious taste to the dish but also provides health benefits. Mustard contains antioxidants, particularly glucosinolates, which have been linked to cancer prevention and reducing inflammation. In addition, consuming mustard can help improve metabolism and control weight.
4. Olive oil
Olive oil, known for its heart-healthy properties, is a key ingredient in this recipe. It is a rich source of monounsaturated fats, which may help lower bad cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. Olive oil also contains antioxidants such as vitamin E, which protect the body from oxidative stress and inflammation.
Sage leaves not only add a fragrant aroma and pleasant taste to the chicken, but also provide potential health benefits. Sage is known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which may help reduce the risk of chronic disease and protect against cell damage. It is also believed to improve brain function and memory.
6. Low-fat crème fraîche
Using low-fat crème fraîche provides a creamy texture in the recipe while reducing the overall fat content. It is a good source of calcium, which is crucial for maintaining strong bones and teeth. In addition, crème fraîche adds a touch of richness and remains lower in calories compared to regular cream.
7. Green vegetables
The recipe suggests serving the dish with cooked green vegetables such as broccoli, peas or savoy cabbage. This vegetable is packed with essential nutrients including fiber, vitamins (A, C, K) and minerals (iron, calcium). Low in calories but rich in antioxidants, they support overall health and contribute to a balanced diet.
The combination of these healthy ingredients in the Mustard Sage Chicken with Celery Porridge recipe not only creates a delicious meal but also offers numerous health benefits. From boosting the immune system to supporting heart health to antioxidant properties, this dish is a nutritious choice for any occasion.