Mussels with red onions, apple cider and crème fraîche are a delicious and affordable seafood dish that offers a harmonious blend of flavors. These juicy mussels are not only a special treat, but also a sustainable choice and therefore a pleasure without a guilty conscience. The combination of tender mussels, spicy red onions, rich apple cider and creamy crème fraîche creates a divine taste experience that will delight your taste buds. Prepared with minimal effort, this easy-to-prepare dish is perfect for a cozy dinner for two. Combine it with some crusty bread to enhance the delicious sauce and enhance your dining experience.
- 1 kg of mussels from rope farming
- 25g unsalted butter
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 150 ml dry apple cider
- 2 tsp finely chopped sage
- 150 ml half-fat crème fraîche
- Prepare the mussels. Scrub them to remove any barnacles and pull off the beard. Then throw away any that are damaged or won’t close when tapped.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and sauté the onions for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic. Pour the apple cider over it, sprinkle the sage over it and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until temperature is reduced by half.
- Add the mussels, cover and cook over medium heat (shaking the pan occasionally) until they have opened, 3-4 minutes. Lift the mussels into a bowl and keep warm.
- Allow the cooking liquid to bubble in the pan for 2 minutes, then gently mix in the crème fraîche. Heat and pour over the mussels to serve.
Equipment and tools
- Big pot
- Knife for cutting onions
- cutting board
- Garlic press or knife for mincing garlic
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- Mixing spoon
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (butter and crème fraîche)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, simply heat the mussels gently in a pot until warmed through. Discard any mussels that have not opened during cooking.
Health Benefits of Mussels with Red Onion, Apple Cider and Crème Fraîche
Mussels with red onions, apple cider and crème fraîche are not only a delicious dish but also offer several health benefits. This recipe is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals and provides essential omega-3 fatty acids – making it a nutritious addition to any diet.
1. Excellent source of nutrients
Mussels are a nutrient-dense food, meaning they contain many important vitamins and minerals. By incorporating mussels into your diet, you can benefit from their high content of vitamin B12, selenium, manganese, zinc and iron. These nutrients play a crucial role in supporting various body functions such as: B. energy production, strengthening the immune system and maintaining healthy red blood cells.
2. Omega-3 fatty acids
The combination of mussels and dry apple cider in this recipe delivers a dose of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats that are thought to have numerous health benefits, including reducing inflammation, improving brain function and supporting heart health. Including omega-3 fatty acids in your diet has a positive effect on overall well-being.
3. Antioxidant power of red onions
Red onions, a key ingredient in this dish, are not only flavorful but also full of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect your body from damage caused by harmful free radicals. Additionally, red onions are known to have anti-inflammatory properties and may contribute to improved heart health.
4. Benefits of Sage for Digestion
The recipe includes sage, an herb known for its digestive properties. Sage is traditionally used to support digestion and relieve indigestion. It can help reduce gas, bloating, and indigestion, making it an excellent addition to this flavorful dish.
5. Light and creamy alternative
Using semi-skimmed crème fraîche instead of regular cream offers a lighter and healthier alternative without compromising on taste. Crème fraîche still gives the dish a creamy consistency while reducing the overall saturated fat content. So you can enjoy a filling meal without feeling guilty.
Incorporating mussels with red onions, apple cider and crème fraîche into your diet will not only provide you with a delicious and aromatic dish, but will also provide numerous health benefits. From the nutrient-dense mussels to the antioxidant power of red onions, this recipe is a fantastic way to support your overall wellness.