Treat yourself to the savory deliciousness of our mussel, bacon and brie tarts. These delicious, bite-sized treats combine the delicate flavors of mussels, crispy bacon and creamy brie cheese nestled in a buttery tart shell. Each bite is a delicious combination of flavors and textures, with the unique smokiness of the bacon enhancing the natural sweetness of the mussels. Perfect for any gathering or special occasion. Our tarts will impress your guests and leave you wanting more.
Please note that this recipe contains pork and is intended for non-Muslims only. We respect and accommodate different dietary needs and offer a variety of recipes to suit different preferences. Discover our wide selection of dishes to satisfy every foodie’s craving.
- 140g butter
- 225g flour
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan
- 1 medium egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 100g streaky bacon or pancetta, diced
- 4 medium eggs
- 10 ounce saucepan for whipping or whipping cream
- 3 tbsp chopped chives
- 500g frozen cooked mussels in shell, thawed and drained, or 2kg fresh mussels
- 200g ripe Brie, peeled and diced
- 200g mixed salad leaves for serving
- 2-3 tbsp purchased or homemade vinaigrette for serving
Using fresh mussels
If you use fresh mussels you will need 2kg (shell weight). Discard any with broken shells and those that won’t close when tapped vigorously. Cook over high heat in a large pan with a splash of white wine for about 5 minutes, shaking once or twice. Discard anything that won’t open and remove the meat from the rest. Strain the cooking liquid and heat with the onion mixture until it has evaporated.
- Mix butter, flour and Parmesan in a bowl until the mixture has the consistency of fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg mixture and quickly knead everything into a dough.
- Knead lightly a few times with floured hands until a smooth mixture forms.
- Form into a flat ball, cover with cling film and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin and line eight 10cm x 3cm tart tins.
- Fill with baking paper and baking beans and bake for 7-10 minutes until the dough feels dry.
- Remove beans and paper and bake for 2-3 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Let cool down.
- Reduce oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes, until soft but not colored.
- Add garlic and bacon and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and cream with the chives, then fold in the onion, bacon and mussels.
- Season to taste.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Pour in the mixture, sprinkle the brie on top and push it in here and there.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the filling is set and golden brown.
- Serve warm with dressed leaves.
Equipment and tools
To make mussel, bacon and brie tarts you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large mixing bowl
- rolling pin
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- frying pan
- Pastry brush
Please note the following allergen information before consuming or serving the mussel, bacon and brie tarts:
- This recipe contains dairy products (butter, parmesan, brie and cream).
- This recipe contains egg.
- This recipe contains wheat (flour).
- This recipe may contain shellfish (clams).
Storage and leftovers
Here are some tips for storing and dealing with leftover clam, bacon and brie tarts:
- If you have any tarts left, let them cool completely before storing.
- Place the tarts in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat, preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Place the tarts on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes until heated through.
- Do not freeze the tarts as the texture may change when thawed and reheated.
- When serving the tarts, you can freshen up the flavor by drizzling with a little vinaigrette and serving with mixed lettuce leaves.
Health benefits of mussel, bacon and brie tarts
The combination of mussels, bacon and brie in these tarts not only creates a delicious dish but also offers several health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutritional value and unique properties of these ingredients:
Mussels are a type of shellfish commonly consumed around the world. They are low in fat and calories, but full of important nutrients:
- Protein: Mussels are an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue in the body.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: These shellfish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which promote heart health, reduce inflammation and support brain function.
- Iron: Mussels are an excellent source of iron, an important mineral that helps transport oxygen throughout the body and prevents anemia.
- Vitamin B12: This vitamin is necessary for maintaining healthy nerve cells and producing DNA. Mussels are one of the best sources of vitamin B12.
Although bacon is often viewed as a luxury food, it does offer a certain nutritional value when consumed in moderation:
- Protein: Bacon contains protein, which is important for building and repairing muscle tissue.
- Rich Flavor: Adding bacon to dishes like these tarts can improve the flavor and make them more enjoyable, encouraging you to use other nutrient-dense ingredients.
Known for its creamy texture and mild flavor, Brie cheese comes with its own set of health benefits:
- Calcium: Brie is a good source of calcium, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and teeth.
- Protein: Brie cheese contains protein, which is needed for various body functions and is particularly important for the growth and repair of body tissues.
- Vitamin B12: Brie is a source of vitamin B12, an essential nutrient for energy production, nerve function and DNA synthesis.
- Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA): Brie cheese contains CLA, which has been linked to several health benefits, including reduction in body fat and improved immune function.
By combining these ingredients in these delicious tarts, you can enjoy a tasty dish while reaping the health benefits it offers. Remember that balance and moderation are the key to a healthy lifestyle.