Treat yourself to a delicious twist on the classic cheese-on-toast with our delicious Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms on Toast recipe. This elevated version is the perfect solution if you want something more sophisticated. With just five simple ingredients, you can whip up this delicious dish in no time. Not only is it incredibly filling, but it also promises an explosion of flavor that will leave you wanting more. A quick, filling and absolutely delicious choice for your next meal!
- 50g butter with Mediterranean herbs or garlic butter
- 4 large flat mushrooms
- 225g bag of baby spinach
- 4 thick slices of bread, preferably grain bread from a small loaf
- 4 generous slices of cheddar cheese, about 100g
- Turn your grill on high so it can heat up.
- Add three-quarters of the butter to your largest skillet and heat until melted.
- Take each mushroom, remove the stem, then place the mushrooms flat side down in the buttered pan.
- Scatter the stems around, tearing them off as you go to loosen them up a bit.
- Cook over high heat for 5 minutes, turning the mushrooms halfway through, until golden brown and juicy.
- Meanwhile, toast the bread in the toaster or under the grill and when it’s done, brush with the remaining butter.
- Remove the mushrooms from the pan (leaving the stems behind) and place them cup side up in a shallow, heatproof bowl.
- Now add the spinach, stems, to the pan and stir it in the butter juice for about a minute until it wilts.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, cover the spinach with a slice of cheddar and cook under the broiler until the cheese just melts.
- Serve each mushroom on a slice of buttered toast and spoon the juice over the top.
Equipment and tools
- cutting board
- frying pan
- oven tray
Please note that this recipe contains the following allergens:
- Butter with Mediterranean herbs or garlic butter (contains dairy products)
- Cheddar cheese (contains dairy products)
- Bread (may contain gluten)
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. To reheat, place the mushrooms on a baking sheet and warm in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for about 10 minutes or until warmed through. For optimal taste and freshness, enjoy within the specified time frame!
Health Benefits of “Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms on Toast”
When it comes to comfort food with a nutritious twist, Cheesy Filled Mushrooms on Toast is certainly at the top of the list. This delicious recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also offers multiple health benefits thanks to its healthy ingredients.
Mushrooms: Nutritional Powerhouses
The main ingredient of this dish is mushrooms, known for their remarkable nutritional profile. Mushrooms are a good source of vitamins and minerals, including potassium, copper, selenium and B vitamins. Additionally, they are low in calories and fat, making them a good choice for anyone watching their weight. Mushrooms are also full of antioxidants, which protect the body from harmful free radicals.
Baby Spinach: A leafy green superfood
The mushrooms are accompanied by a generous portion of baby spinach, which not only provides bright colors but also has many health benefits. Spinach is an excellent source of several essential nutrients such as iron, vitamin K, vitamin A and folic acid. It is also rich in antioxidants and fiber, which promote a healthy digestive system and can even help regulate blood sugar levels.
Whole grain bread: The fiber-rich base
The recipe recommends using thick slices of granary bread, a type of whole-grain bread. Whole grain products are rich in fiber and ensure a consistent release of energy. They are also known to reduce the risk of heart disease, lower cholesterol, and support healthy digestion. Additionally, whole grain bread typically contains more vitamins and minerals compared to refined white bread.
Cheddar Cheese: A Calcium Boost
No cheese dish is complete without a generous slice of cheddar cheese! This tasty supplement not only adds flavor but also provides important nutrients, especially calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth. Cheddar cheese also provides protein and healthy fats, although in moderation.
By combining these healthy ingredients, Cheesy Filled Mushrooms on Toast provides a nutritious and filling meal. Enjoy the delicious flavors while reaping the health benefits of mushrooms, baby spinach, whole wheat bread and cheddar cheese.