Indulge in the exquisite flavor of Mushroom Spinach Risotto, a delicious vegetarian Italian rice dish that promises a touch of creamy deliciousness in every bite. Every time you stir during cooking, take the opportunity to infuse the dish with the utmost care to create a velvety texture that delights the palate. The combination of earthy mushrooms and strong spinach ensures a harmonious balance of flavors and makes this risotto an irresistible treat for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Improve your cooking skills and enjoy the soothing richness of this Mediterranean-inspired dish – a real treat for all foodies.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 140g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 140g Arborio rice
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 4 dried tomatoes, chopped
- 500 ml hot vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 25g Parmesan or vegetarian alternative, freshly grated
- 100g fresh young leaf spinach, washed if necessary
- warm ciabatta and green salad to serve
- Heat oil and butter in a large deep frying pan.
- Add the onion and cook gently for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and spread with the onion and mushroom mixture.
- Pour in the wine and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the wine is absorbed, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce to gentle heat.
- Add the tomatoes and 125 ml stock and cook until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add another 125ml of stock and continue cooking until the stock is absorbed.
- Repeat with the remaining broth until everything is absorbed and the rice is creamy and tender.
- Stir in the parsley and half of the Parmesan.
- Season to taste.
- Scatter the spinach over the risotto.
- Cover and cook gently for 4-5 minutes until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with the remaining Parmesan.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- wooden spoon
- Sharp knife
- cutting board
This recipe contains dairy (butter and parmesan) and grains (Arborio rice). If you have allergies or dietary restrictions, please use suitable alternatives or omit these ingredients.
Storage and leftovers
Leftover mushroom and spinach risotto can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, gently heat in a pot with a splash of water or additional vegetable stock until heated through.
Health Benefits of Mushroom Spinach Risotto
Mushroom and spinach risotto is not only a delicious and comforting meal but also comes with a number of health benefits. Packed with nutritious ingredients, this dish offers a good balance of essential nutrients that can support your well-being. Let’s explore the health benefits of the main ingredients in this recipe:
Mushrooms are a low-calorie food rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They are an excellent source of B vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin and pantothenic acid, which play an important role in energy production, cellular metabolism and maintaining healthy skin. Additionally, mushrooms are a natural source of vitamin D, which is essential for maintaining strong bones and supporting the immune system.
Spinach is a nutrient-dense green leafy vegetable worth adding to your diet. It is rich in vitamins A, C and K as well as minerals such as iron and calcium. Vitamin A is essential for maintaining healthy vision, while vitamin C supports the immune system and collagen production. Vitamin K is necessary for good blood clotting and bone health. Spinach also contains a compound called lutein, which has positive effects on eye health and may help protect against age-related macular degeneration.
Olive oil, the main cooking oil in this recipe, is a healthy fat rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs). MUFAs are known to be heart-healthy and can help improve cholesterol levels. Olive oil is also rich in antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties, which may potentially reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
The addition of Parmesan cheese in this risotto provides a savory flavor and a boost of calcium, protein and vitamins. Calcium is essential for building and maintaining strong bones, while protein is necessary for numerous body functions, including muscle repair and hormone production. Parmesan cheese also contains vitamins A and B12, which contribute to healthy skin, good nerve function and the production of red blood cells.
By combining these nutritious ingredients in mushroom and spinach risotto, you can enjoy a healthy dish that offers numerous health benefits. Remember to pair it with a side of warm ciabatta and green salad for a filling meal.