For a vegetarian breakfast with a bite, try this egg dish with cream cheese, fresh basil and earthy mushrooms for a flavorful twist. The tender omelette is perfectly cooked and generously filled with sautéed mushrooms, giving it a delicious savory touch. A touch of creamy cream cheese melts in the middle, complementing the richness of the eggs. Served with grilled tomatoes bursting with flavorful juiciness, this dish offers a filling start to the day. With the bright colors and fragrant aroma of basil, this omelette is a delicious combination of flavors and textures that is sure to awaken your taste buds.
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 3 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 300g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil leaves
1. Heat the grill to the highest setting.
2. Place the tomatoes on a piece of foil under the grill.
3. Turn the tomatoes occasionally to prevent them from burning.
4. Remove the tomatoes from the grill when they are slightly burnt.
5. Squeeze the tomatoes lightly to release the juice.
6. Beat the eggs into a bowl.
7. Mix the eggs with a fork.
8. Add a small splash of water to the eggs and stir.
9. Add the chives and some black pepper to the eggs.
10. Beat the mixture again.
11. Set the egg mixture aside while you prepare the mushrooms.
12. In a non-stick frying pan, heat the butter over medium heat until it foams.
13. Add the mushrooms to the pan.
14. Cook the mushrooms for 5-8 minutes until soft.
15. Stir the mushrooms every few minutes.
16. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside.
17. Stir the egg mixture vigorously again.
18. Pour the egg mixture into the hot pan, tilting it so that it covers the entire bottom.
19. Let the mixture stand until it solidifies, about 10 seconds.
20. Stir the egg mixture gently with a fork to cook any bits that have not set.
21. While the egg mixture is still slightly loose, spoon the mushroom mixture onto one side of the omelet.
22. Top the mushroom mixture with cream cheese and basil leaves.
23. If desired, turn other side of omelet over to cover.
24. Let the omelet cook for another 1 minute.
25. Cut the omelet in half and slide each half onto a plate.
26. Serve the omelet immediately with the tomatoes on the side.
Equipment and tools
- frying pan
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please note that the ingredients used may contain other allergens. Be sure to check labels for possible allergens.
Storage and leftovers
This Mushroom Basil Omelet with Crushed Tomato can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. When reheating, make sure to heat it thoroughly until it is completely hot.
Leftovers can also be enjoyed cold as a quick and tasty snack or packed as a delicious meal on the go.
Health Benefits of Mushroom Basil Omelette with Crushed Tomatoes
Mushroom Basil Omelet with Crushed Tomatoes is not only a delicious and filling breakfast option but also offers several health benefits due to its nutritious ingredients.
Tomatoes are a rich source of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin C, potassium and folic acid. Vitamin C is essential for collagen production and helps maintain healthy skin, bones and blood vessels. Potassium is important for regulating blood pressure, while folic acid is crucial for cell growth and function.
Eggs are a nutrient-dense food full of high-quality proteins, vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of vitamin B12, which is important for nerve function and red blood cell production. In addition, eggs provide choline, which is essential for brain health and development.
Chives, also called Allium schoenoprasum, offer numerous health benefits. They are low in calories and rich in antioxidants, which help protect the body from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases. Chives also contain vitamins A and K, which are important for maintaining healthy vision and promoting blood clotting, respectively.
4. Chestnut mushrooms
Chestnut mushrooms are a type of edible mushroom that offers a number of health benefits. They are a good source of antioxidants such as ergothioneine and selenium, which help neutralize harmful free radicals in the body. Chestnut mushrooms also contain fiber and are low in calories, making them an excellent choice for weight management.
Although butter should be consumed in moderation, it still offers some health benefits. Butter contains good fats, including omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are essential for brain function and reducing inflammation in the body. Butter also provides vitamins A, E and K, which are important for maintaining healthy skin, vision and blood clotting.
6. Low-fat cream cheese
Low-fat cream cheese is a healthier alternative to regular cream cheese because it contains fewer calories and less fat. It still offers the creamy texture and taste while being lower in saturated fats. Cream cheese is a good source of calcium, which is essential for strong bones and teeth.
Basil is a fragrant herb that not only adds flavor to dishes but also provides several health benefits. It contains essential oils such as eugenol and linalool, which have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Basil also provides vitamins A, K and C as well as minerals such as magnesium and potassium.
By incorporating the Mushroom Basil Omelette with Crushed Tomatoes into your breakfast routine, you can enjoy the many health benefits of the wholesome ingredients. From vitamins and minerals to antioxidants and essential fats, this omelet is a nutritious and flavorful way to start the day.