This spice syrup is the perfect addition to refine your mulled wine or apple cider recipes. With its rich flavors and aromas, it will transform your holiday drinks into a delicious experience. They’re easy to make and you can even make a large batch in advance, so you’ll always be ready to impress your guests at festive gatherings. If you’re feeling particularly generous, you can use this syrup to create a carefully curated gift set, making it an excellent Christmas gift for your loved ones. Spread the warmth and joy of the season with this delicious mulled syrup.
- 250 g powdered or granulated sugar
- 2 oranges, halved
- 6 whole cloves
- 6 whole allspice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ¼ nutmeg, freshly grated
- small piece of ginger, sliced
Present your gift
Create a gift set by tying a few together
Cinnamon sticks to the neck of the bottle
with band and accompanying
a good red wine. You can buy it nicely
Preserving bottles from Lakeland.co.uk.
- Put all the ingredients in a pot with 1 liter of water and simmer slowly, making sure that the sugar has completely dissolved. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and then strain through a very fine sieve.
- Sterilize your bottles by washing them in hot, soapy water, rinsing well, and then drying them in a warm oven. In the meantime, heat the syrup again until it is still hot, then pour it into the bottles while it is still hot and close them.
- Before giving as a gift, attach labels with serving instructions: Heat 400 ml of syrup with 750 ml of red wine or cider and a few orange or apple slices. The syrup will last up to 3 months in a cool, dark place.
Equipment and tools
- Preserve bottles
- Measuring scale
- cooking pot
This mulling syrup recipe may contain the following allergens:
Storage and leftovers
- Store the mulling syrup in a well-sealed preserving bottle.
- Store it in a cool, dark place.
- The syrup can be kept for up to 6 months.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and used within 2 weeks.
Health Benefits of Mull Syrup
Mulled syrup is a delicious blend of flavors that not only adds a warm touch to your favorite drinks, but also provides several health benefits. This syrup is made by combining different ingredients, each contributing to its unique flavor and nutritional value.
The main ingredients of mulled syrup are powdered or granulated sugar, oranges, cloves, allspice, cinnamon sticks, nutmeg and ginger. Let’s take a closer look at the health benefits of these ingredients:
Oranges are a fantastic source of vitamin C, known for its immune-boosting properties. It helps boost your immune system, protect against colds and flu, and promote collagen production for healthy skin.
Not only do cloves add a warm and spicy flavor to mulled syrup, but they are also rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body, reduce cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Allspice contains essential oils with antibacterial and antifungal properties. It can aid digestion, relieve indigestion, and promote overall gut health.
4. Cinnamon sticks
Cinnamon sticks not only add a wonderful aroma, but also offer numerous health benefits. They are known to regulate blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation and have antioxidant properties.
Freshly grated nutmeg gives the mulled syrup a special touch. It contains essential oils with antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that are often used to relieve pain and improve digestion.
Ginger is known for its medicinal properties, including anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects. It can help relieve nausea, relieve muscle pain, and improve digestion.
When combined, these ingredients create a spicy and aromatic mulled syrup that not only tantalizes your taste buds but also offers various health benefits. So the next time you enjoy a mulled syrup-infused drink, you can rest assured that you’re not only enjoying a tasty treat, but also nourishing your body.
If you want to give the joy of mulled syrup as a gift, you should consider giving it as a gift in a bottle with cinnamon sticks around the neck. Accompany it perfectly with a bottle of good red wine. You can find beautiful preserving bottles to give as gifts at Lakeland.co.uk.