Do you want to add a touch of elegance to your Christmas table? Try our delicious recipe for mixed vegetables with walnuts! This delicious side dish combines a mix of fresh greens mixed with a tangy dressing and sprinkled with crunchy walnuts. It harmonizes perfectly with flavors and textures and goes wonderfully with any festive spread. The earthy undertones of the walnuts provide a nutty richness that will really impress your guests. Quick and easy to make, this dish is a festive must-have that will have anyone craving seconds!
- 400 g Brussels sprouts, cleaned and cut into thick slices
- 250 g savoy cabbage or kale, sliced or grated
- 100g shallots, peeled and sliced
- 2 teaspoons each of butter and olive oil
- 300ml vegetable or chicken stock (use vegetable stock if you have vegetarian guests at Christmas)
- 400g frozen peas
- 50g walnuts, chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil
- Add sliced sprouts and cabbage to the boiling water
- Cook the vegetables for 2 minutes
- Drain the vegetables
- Rinse the vegetables in cold water to cool them down
- Drain the vegetables again to remove excess water
- In a frying pan, fry the shallot slices in butter and oil until meltingly soft
- Cover the vegetables separately with cling film
- Chill the vegetables in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours
- Just before serving, remove the cling film from the vegetables
- While the turkey is resting, place the shallots back in the largest roasting pan
- Add broth to pan and heat until simmering
- Stir in the blanched sprouts, cabbage and frozen peas
- Cook the vegetables for 2-3 minutes until tender
- Reduce the broth while cooking the vegetables
- Season the vegetables with salt and pepper
- Stir in the walnuts just before serving
Equipment and tools
To prepare this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Large frying pan or frying pan
- Spoon or spatula for stirring
- measuring spoon
- measuring cup
This recipe contains the following allergens:
Please note that this dish may also come into contact with other allergens during preparation. If you or your guests suffer from certain allergies, please exercise caution.
Storage and leftovers
If there are any leftovers, you can store them as follows:
- Allow the dish to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container.
- Place the dish in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, simply place desired portion in a microwave-safe bowl and heat until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Mixed Vegetables with Walnuts
Mixed vegetables with walnuts is a nutritious and delicious dish that offers numerous health benefits. This recipe contains Brussels sprouts, cabbage, shallots, peas, and walnuts, all of which contribute to the overall nutritional value of the dish.
1. Rich in fiber
Brussels sprouts and cabbage both contain a good amount of fiber. Fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation. It also helps regulate blood sugar levels, promote satiety and aid in weight management.
2. Rich in antioxidants
Walnuts are known for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants are crucial for protecting the body from free radicals, which can lead to chronic disease and cell damage. Eating foods rich in antioxidants, such as walnuts, can help reduce inflammation and improve overall health.
3. Nutrient rich
Peas are a great source of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese and folic acid. These nutrients play an important role in immune function, bone health and energy production. Including peas in your diet can contribute to your daily nutrient intake.
4. Heart healthy
Walnuts are rich in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, also known as “good” fats. These fats have been linked to reducing the risk of heart disease by improving cholesterol levels and reducing inflammation. Incorporating walnuts into your mixed vegetables adds a heart-healthy component to the dish.
5. Weight management
This mixed vegetable recipe is low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great option for anyone looking to control their weight. The fiber content promotes satiety and reduces the likelihood of overeating. Additionally, the combination of vegetables and walnuts makes for a filling and nutritious meal.
Overall, mixed vegetables with walnuts is a nutritious dish that offers a number of health benefits. Whether you want to improve digestion, increase antioxidant absorption, support heart health, or control your weight, this recipe is a great addition to your meal repertoire.