This Reduced Sugar Mint Chocolate Mousse Dessert is a culinary delight that combines a light and airy mousse texture with a refreshing hint of mint and a luxurious chocolate finish, making it the ultimate after-dinner treat. With its delicious flavors and reduced sugar content, this dessert will delight both your taste buds and your waistline. The creamy and smooth consistency of the mousse will have you savoring every spoonful, while the combination of mint and chocolate creates a delicious harmony of flavors. Treat yourself to this delicious dessert today without feeling guilty!
- 200 g dark chocolate (70-75% cocoa content)
- 500 ml cream
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tbsp golden powdered sugar
- 300g Greek yogurt
- Pomegranate seeds for serving
- picked mint leaves for serving
- With the flat side of the chocolate bar facing up, scrape the surface with a large kitchen knife to form chocolate curls (you only need enough to decorate the mousse before serving). Place on a plate and chill.
- Finely chop the remaining chocolate and place in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water, stirring occasionally until melted. Alternatively, melt in the microwave in short bursts to ensure it doesn’t burn. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Place cream and peppermint extract in a bowl.
- Place the egg whites in another bowl with a small pinch of salt.
- Using very clean beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, add the sugar and briefly whisk again.
- Add the beaters to the cream and whisk until they just hold their shape. Then fold in 200 g of yoghurt.
- Stir the egg yolks into the melted chocolate.
- Add a large spoonful of egg whites to the chocolate mixture and stir to loosen the consistency.
- Add the remaining egg whites and whipped cream.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold everything together, making sure to leave as much air in the mixture as possible.
- When streaks are no longer visible, transfer to eight jars and chill for 2 hours or cover with plastic wrap and chill for up to 24 hours.
- Before serving, top each mousse with a spoonful of yogurt, pomegranate seeds, chocolate shavings and mint leaves.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Microwave or pot
- Glass or ceramic serving dishes
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (dark chocolate, double cream, Greek yogurt)
Please make sure these allergens are safe for everyone before serving.
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover mint chocolate mousse, you can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
To ensure the best quality, cover the surface of the mousse with plastic wrap before closing the container.
When serving the leftovers, garnish with fresh pomegranate seeds and mint leaves for a refreshing touch.
The Health Benefits of Mint Chocolate Mousse
Mint Chocolate Mousse is a delicious and delicious dessert that combines the rich flavor of dark chocolate with a refreshing hint of mint. This dessert is not only a treat for your taste buds but also offers several health benefits thanks to its unique combination of ingredients.
1. Dark chocolate
The main ingredient in this recipe is dark chocolate, which contains a high level of cocoa solids. Dark chocolate is rich in antioxidants, particularly flavonoids, which are thought to have various health benefits. Antioxidants help protect the body from oxidative stress and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, including heart disease and certain cancers.
2. Peppermint extract
The addition of peppermint extract not only gives the mousse a refreshing taste but also offers some health benefits. Peppermint is traditionally used for its digestive properties, helping to relieve symptoms such as indigestion and bloating. It may also have antimicrobial properties and promote respiratory health.
3. Greek yogurt
Replacing some traditional ingredients like cream with Greek yogurt gives this dessert a healthier twist. Greek yogurt is full of protein, calcium and probiotics. It can support gut health, improve digestion, and help strengthen bones and muscles.
4. Pomegranate seeds
Adding pomegranate seeds as a garnish not only enhances the presentation but also increases the nutritional value of the dessert. Pomegranate seeds are rich in antioxidants, fiber, and vitamins C and K. They can improve heart health, reduce inflammation, and support the immune system.
5. Mint leaves
The finishing touch of picked mint leaves not only adds a delightful aroma but also offers potential health benefits. Mint leaves have been used for centuries for their digestive and calming properties. They can help relieve indigestion, relieve headaches, and even improve cognitive function.
In summary, this mint chocolate mousse not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also offers a number of health benefits. From the antioxidants in dark chocolate to the digestive properties of peppermint, the nutritional value of Greek yogurt, the antioxidants in pomegranate seeds and the calming properties of mint leaves, this dessert can be enjoyed guilt-free.
So treat yourself to a delicious portion of mint chocolate mousse and let the combination of flavors and health-promoting properties delight your taste buds and your well-being.