These sweet pavlovas are the perfect combination of tangy pear and delicious chocolate. With their impressive looks, they will be a hit with both children and adults in the family. The best part? You can easily make these in advance, making them a convenient option when time is limited. Whether it’s a special occasion or a simple weekend treat, these adorable mini pavlovas are sure to win everyone’s hearts!
- 3 medium egg whites
- 175g powdered sugar
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 8 small pears, peeled
- 2 tbsp clear honey
- 300 ml high-quality apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 147ml carton of double cream
- 100 g bar of dark chocolate (70%), broken into pieces
- 284 ml whipped cream in a carton
- 200 g Greek yogurt, semi-fat
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/fan 120°C/gas 1.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Gradually stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar at a time until the mixture is very stiff and shiny.
- Sift in the cornstarch and then fold in with a large metal spoon along with the vinegar.
- Divide the mixture into 8 mounds and place them on the baking paper.
- Using a dessert spoon, flatten each piece to about 9cm in diameter, making a slight indentation in the center of each.
- Cook for 40-50 minutes or until the meringue mixture is hard and the parchment paper can be easily peeled away from the bottom of each one.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- You can make these up to 3 days in advance and store in an airtight container or freeze for up to a month.
- Using a sharp knife, score the core of the pears and scoop out, leaving the stem in place.
- Place the pears in a single layer in a medium-sized pan – they should fit fairly tightly.
- Add honey, apple juice and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover with a piece of baking paper and put a lid on.
- Simmer for 35-40 minutes until the pears are soft.
- Remove the lid and paper, increase the heat and allow the liquid to bubble out until a sticky glaze forms.
- Let cool down.
- Pears can be stored in the refrigerator, coated with glaze, and covered for up to 2 days.
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate sauce and cream filling.
- Add the cream and chocolate to the pan and stir over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate has melted.
- Stir the cream and Greek yogurt together until thick but still soft – it will thicken without whipping.
- To serve, place the meringues on serving plates and top with a dollop of the cream filling.
- Place a glazed pear on top and drizzle with some warm chocolate sauce.
- Serve immediately, topping off any excess sauce.
Equipment and tools
- mixing bowl
- Electric mixer
- parchment paper
- Heat-resistant dish
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (cream, chocolate, yogurt)
Please ensure that you or your guests do not have any allergies or dietary restrictions before preparing or consuming this dish.
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover pavlovas in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days. The meringue may be a little softer, but it will still taste delicious. Avoid storing them in the refrigerator as the moisture can cause them to lose their crispness.
If you have leftover poached pears, store them separately in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. They can be enjoyed as a snack or used in other recipes.
For the best flavor and texture, assemble the pavlovas just before serving. Over time, the meringue absorbs moisture from the cream and fruit, which can affect its crispiness.
Health Benefits of Mini Pear and Chocolate Pavlovas
When it comes to satisfying your sweet cravings while taking care of your health, the combination of pears and chocolate in mini pavlovas offers a delicious treat that also comes with numerous health benefits.
1. Rich in antioxidants
Pears, a key ingredient in these mini pavlovas, are known for their high antioxidant content. Antioxidants help fight free radicals in the body, reduce oxidative stress, and lower the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease and certain cancers.
2. Packed with fiber
Both pears and Greek yogurt provide a good amount of fiber. Fiber plays a critical role in promoting healthy digestion, preventing constipation, and aiding weight management by promoting satiety. Eating enough fiber can also help regulate blood sugar levels and reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
3. Heart-healthy ingredients
The combination of pears, dark chocolate, and apple juice in this recipe offers significant heart-healthy benefits. Pears contain potassium, which helps lower blood pressure. Dark chocolate, especially high in cocoa, is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids, which have been linked to a reduced risk of heart disease. Apple juice is also known to support heart health due to its high polyphenol content.
4. Nutrient-rich yogurt
Greek yogurt used as a topping offers several nutritional benefits. It is an excellent source of calcium, which is crucial for maintaining bone health, and protein, which is important for muscle growth and repair. Additionally, Greek yogurt contains probiotics, which promote a healthy gut by supporting the growth of beneficial bacteria.
5. Moderation and portion control
Although these mini pavlovas contain sugar and cream, eating them in moderation can still be part of a balanced diet. By making individual servings, it becomes easier to practice portion control and satisfy your dessert cravings without consuming too many calories and fat. Remember that occasional indulgence is an important aspect of maintaining a healthy relationship with food.
Overall, the combination of pears and chocolate in mini pavlovas not only makes for a delicious dessert but also brings various health benefits. So enjoy this delicious treat without feeling guilty!