A delicious and hearty minced meat pie awaits you with this classic recipe. Packed with tender ground beef, flavorful carrots, celery and onions, all smothered in a rich, flavorful sauce. Covered with a golden, flaky puff pastry crust that provides the perfect crunch. As a delicious side dish, enjoy our minty pea puree full of fresh flavors. These peas are expertly seasoned to make a filling and refreshing side dish that perfectly complements the hearty beef patty. Prepare for a true British culinary delight!
- 1 onion, chopped
- 350g carrots, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500g pack of lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 350 ml beef broth
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 375 g of ready-rolled puff pastry, quartered or left whole depending on the dish you are using
- 350g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp mint sauce
- In a large skillet, sauté onions, carrots, and celery in the oil until soft.
- Add the ground beef, increase the heat and cook for 5 minutes or until well browned.
- Stir in tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and broth.
- Simmer for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6.
- Pour the mixture into four individual cake pans or a large bowl.
- Brush the edges of the mold with egg, then place the dough on top and trim the edges.
- Seal the edges with a fork and brush the dough with more egg.
- Poke a small hole in the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the dough is golden brown and risen.
- In the meantime, cook the peas in boiling water, drain and mash with the mint sauce.
- Serve the pies with the hot peas on the side.
Equipment and tools
To make this minced meat pie and mint pea puree recipe, you will need the following equipment and tools:
- frying pan
- baking pan(s)
- Basting brush
This mince pie and mint mushy peas recipe may contain allergens. Please check the ingredient list and take necessary precautions if you have dietary restrictions or allergies. The recipe contains the following allergens:
- Worcester sauce
- Puff pastry (may contain gluten)
Storage and leftovers
If you have any leftover mince pie and mint pea puree, you can save these for later consumption. Here are some storage and reheating instructions:
- Allow cake to cool completely before storing.
- Transfer the leftovers to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To reheat the cake, place it in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through.
The Health Benefits of Minced Beef Pie and Minty Peas
Mince pie and mint pea puree is a delicious and comforting dish that not only offers a satisfying culinary experience but also several health benefits. This classic recipe combines the richness of ground beef with the freshness of minted pea puree, making it a healthy and nutritious meal.
Lean minced meat
Using lean ground beef in this recipe ensures a good source of important nutrients while keeping the fat content to a minimum. Ground meat is an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is essential for building and repairing tissue in our bodies. It also provides essential amino acids, iron, zinc and vitamin B12, all of which help maintain healthy muscles, bones and immune function.
Carrots, a key ingredient in the recipe, add both vibrant color and notable health benefits to the dish. This crunchy vegetable is an excellent source of beta-carotene, a precursor to vitamin A. Vitamin A is essential for healthy vision, immune function and skin health. Carrots are also rich in fiber and other antioxidants, which support digestive health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Adding celery to mince pie not only improves the taste but also provides numerous health benefits. Celery is known for its low calorie content and high fiber content, making it great for weight management and digestive health. It is also a good source of antioxidants and several vitamins such as vitamin K, vitamin C and potassium, which play an important role in maintaining heart health and regulating blood pressure.
The minty pea puree in this dish not only provides a refreshing taste but also offers some health benefits. Mint is known for its calming and cooling properties, which aid digestion and can provide relief from indigestion. Additionally, mint is rich in antioxidants, which protect the body from damage caused by harmful free radicals and support overall health.
Adding peas to the dish gives the dish a special taste and important nutritional benefits. Peas are an excellent source of fiber, which aids digestion and promotes healthy bowel movements. They are also rich in vitamins C, K and B complex as well as minerals such as manganese and folic acid. These nutrients contribute to immune support, bone health and energy production.
By combining these nutritious ingredients, this Minted Beef Pie with Mint Pea Puree recipe not only satisfies your taste buds but also nourishes your body. It is a balanced meal that provides a balance of proteins, fiber, vitamins and minerals, all essential for maintaining overall health and well-being.