Try this delicious microwave butternut squash risotto recipe, perfect for feeding the whole family. Not only is it incredibly easy to prepare, but it also provides a good source of vitamin C. By incorporating this dish into your meal, you can ensure that you are consuming the recommended 5 daily dose. The best part is that you don’t have to wait long to prepare this aromatic risotto as it can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. Try it and enjoy a healthy and delicious meal!
- 250g risotto rice
- 700 ml hot vegetable broth
- 1 medium butternut squash
- a large handful of grated Parmesan (or a vegetarian alternative) plus a little more
- a handful of sage leaves, roughly chopped
Prepare your pumpkin
To prepare a butternut squash,
Cut off the top and bottom,
then cut in half. Peel with a small, sharp knife
Knife, spoon out seeds with a spoon,
Then cut the meat into pieces.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and then add 500ml of the hot vegetable stock.
- Cover with cling film and microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, peel the pumpkin and cut it into medium-sized pieces (see tip below).
- Stir the rice, then add the pumpkin and remaining broth.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and microwave for another 15 minutes, stirring halfway, until almost all of the broth is absorbed and the rice and squash are tender.
- Let the risotto rest for 2 minutes.
- Stir in parmesan and sage.
- Serve garnished with more grated cheese.
Equipment and tools
To make butternut squash risotto in the microwave you will need the following:
- Microwave safe bowl
- cutting board
- Small, sharp knife
This microwave butternut squash risotto recipe may contain the following allergens:
- Cheese (Parmesan)
Please ensure all ingredients are appropriate for your dietary needs and consult a healthcare professional if you have any concerns.
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftover butternut squash risotto from the microwave, you can store it as follows:
- Allow the risotto to cool completely.
- Transfer the leftover risotto to an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat leftovers, microwave in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring occasionally, until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Microwave Butternut Squash Risotto
Butternut squash is the main ingredient in this microwave risotto recipe and provides numerous health benefits. Combined with the nutrient-rich ingredients of risotto rice, vegetable broth, parmesan cheese and sage leaves, this dish not only tastes delicious but also offers numerous health benefits.
1. Rich in vitamins and minerals
Butternut squash is a powerhouse of essential vitamins and minerals. It is an excellent source of vitamin A, which promotes healthy vision, boosts the immune system and supports bone health. In addition, it provides plenty of vitamin C, which supports collagen production, strengthens the immune system and has antioxidant properties to fight free radicals.
2. Rich in fiber
Risotto rice and butternut squash both contribute to the overall fiber content of this dish. Fiber is essential for maintaining healthy digestion, preventing constipation and regulating blood sugar levels. Eating a high-fiber diet may also help control weight and reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
3. Rich in antioxidants
The combination of butternut squash, sage and parmesan cheese makes this risotto recipe a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants protect the body from oxidative stress caused by harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
4. Supports bone health
Butternut squash contains important minerals like calcium and magnesium, which contribute to bone health. Calcium is crucial for bone strength and density, while magnesium aids in the absorption of calcium and supports proper bone formation. Including butternut squash in your diet can help prevent conditions like osteoporosis.
5. Strengthens immunity
Vitamin C, found in both butternut squash and sage leaves, plays a crucial role in boosting the immune system. It stimulates the production of white blood cells, which play a crucial role in fighting off infections and diseases.
In summary, this microwave butternut squash risotto recipe is not only a treat for your taste buds but also offers a number of health benefits. From providing essential vitamins and minerals to promoting digestive health, bone strength and immunity, this dish is a nutritious addition to your diet.