A hearty Central American soup with complex flavors and textures, Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is a culinary delight. Packed with tender chicken, bold vegetables and spices, each spoonful offers an explosion of delicious flavors. The addition of crispy tortilla strips adds a delicious crunch to this already delicious dish. For an even more intense taste experience, we recommend preparing it a day in advance. Allowing the soup to sit and blend overnight allows the flavors to meld, creating a truly memorable dining experience.
- 1.2kg whole chicken
- 5 fat red chili peppers, 4 whole but pierced a few times with a sharp knife, 1 sliced, for serving
- 2 dried ancho chilies
- 1 garlic bulb, cut in half horizontally in the middle
- Bunch of coriander, stems and leaves separated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder
- 2 x 400g cans of tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 320g can sweetcorn, drained
- 400g canned black beans, drained
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 4 corn tortillas, quartered and cut into strips
- 2 avocados
- 200g feta or queso fresco, crumbled, to serve
- Place the chicken in a large skillet with the whole and dried chiles, garlic, coriander stalks, and cinnamon.
- Cover the chicken with cold water.
- Place the pan over medium heat.
- When the liquid boils, reduce the temperature to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid.
- Let the chicken cook for 30 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the chicken cool in the broth for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and strain the liquid into a large jug.
- You should have about 800ml of liquid.
- Discard the flavorings.
- Return the liquid to the pan.
- Allow the liquid to simmer until reduced to about 600ml.
- Pour the reduced liquid back into the jug.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Add the onion and cook until soft and translucent, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in spices, tomatoes and sugar.
- Add the chicken broth to the pan.
- Season well and simmer with the lid open for 30 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, remove the chicken skin and finely chop the meat.
- Add the shredded chicken to the soup.
- Also add sweetcorn, beans, lime zest and juice.
- Save some lime juice to stir into the avocado.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil in a frying pan.
- Add the tortilla pieces and fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Drain the tortillas on kitchen paper.
- Halve and peel the avocado.
- Cut the avocado into small pieces and mix with the remaining lime juice.
- Serve the soup in bowls and top with the crispy tortillas.
- Add coriander leaves, sliced chili peppers, avocado and feta on top.
Mexican chicken tortilla soup
Equipment and tools
For this recipe you will need the following equipment and tools:
- Sharp knife
- Large stock pot or Dutch oven
- wooden spoon
- tin opener
- grater or zester
- measuring spoon
This Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe contains the following allergens:
- Corn tortilla
- Feta or queso fresco
Storage and leftovers
If you have leftovers, follow these storage guidelines:
- Allow the soup to cool completely.
- Place the soup in an airtight container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- When you’re ready to eat, reheat the soup on the stove until warmed through.
Health Benefits of Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup
Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soup is not only a delicious and filling dish, but it also offers numerous health benefits. Let’s take a closer look at the nutrients that the main ingredients provide:
Using lean chicken in this soup provides a good source of protein. Protein is important for building and repairing tissue, supporting muscle growth and keeping you feeling fuller for longer. It also contains important amino acids that contribute to a healthy immune system.
The red chilies used in this recipe contain capsaicin, which gives them their characteristic spiciness. Capsaicin has been shown to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which may have heart health benefits and aid digestion. It can also help boost metabolism and increase calorie burning.
Garlic has long been known for its numerous health benefits. It contains compounds such as allicin, which have antimicrobial properties and may help strengthen the immune system. Garlic can also help lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels and has anti-inflammatory effects.
The coriander used in this recipe, both the leaves and stems, is rich in antioxidants and several important vitamins and minerals. It can help reduce inflammation, regulate blood sugar levels, and promote healthy digestion.
Cinnamon adds a warm and fragrant touch to the soup while offering potential health benefits. It is associated with improved blood sugar control and a reduction in inflammation and may have antibacterial and antifungal properties. Cinnamon is also rich in antioxidants.
The canned tomatoes in this soup are a great source of lycopene, an antioxidant known to have a number of health benefits including reducing the risk of certain cancers and supporting heart health. Tomatoes are also rich in vitamins A and C, potassium and fiber.
Sweet corn not only adds a touch of sweetness to the soup, but also provides important nutrients. It is a good source of fiber, which aids digestion and helps maintain a healthy weight. Sweet corn is also rich in vitamins A, B and C as well as antioxidants.
8. Black beans
Black beans are a nutritious legume that is rich in fiber, protein, and various vitamins and minerals. They can help improve digestive health, regulate blood sugar levels, and promote cardiovascular health. Black beans are also a good source of folic acid, iron and magnesium.
The zest and juice of the lime give the soup a piquant and spicy taste. Limes are an excellent source of vitamin C, which supports the immune system, promotes collagen production, and aids iron absorption. They also contain antioxidants that help protect against cell damage.
Avocado, often referred to as a superfood, is known for its high content of healthy fats, especially monounsaturated fats. These fats are associated with heart health and may help lower bad cholesterol levels. Avocados are also a good source of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
11. Feta or queso fresco
The crumbled feta or queso fresco cheese sprinkled on top gives the soup a creamy and salty touch. While cheese should be consumed in moderation due to its high calorie and fat content, these cheeses can provide calcium, protein and other essential nutrients that support bone health.
By incorporating these nutritious ingredients into your Mexican chicken tortilla soup, you’ll not only create a delicious and filling meal, but you’ll also provide your body with a number of health benefits. Enjoy this tasty soup knowing that it contributes positively to your well-being!