Treat yourself to the exotic flavors of North Africa with our succulent Merguez lamb kebabs. Inspired by the region’s highly spiced sausages, these skewers offer a tantalizing mix of aromatic spices and tender lamb meat. Grilled to perfection, every bite is a journey full of rich flavors and satisfying textures.
Our Merguez lamb kebabs are a delicious twist on the traditional recipe and are complemented by a velvety cumin yoghurt sauce. This creamy and fragrant companion enhances the already vibrant flavors and ensures a harmonious and unforgettable dining experience. Prepare to be transported to the bustling streets of North Africa with every delicious bite.
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 tablespoons harissa, plus extra for serving
- 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 800 g lean minced lamb
- freshly chopped coriander and flatbread for serving
- 3 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 teaspoons cumin, toasted
- 200g cup of Greek yogurt
- small handful of chopped coriander
- small handful of chopped mint
- Soak 8 wooden skewers in water.
- Toast all spices in a small pan.
- Place in a mortar and grind with a pestle.
- Mix the ground spices with paprika, harissa, garlic and cinnamon.
- Place the spice mixture in a bowl along with the meat.
- Season the meat mixture and mash it with your fingers.
- Form 8 long kebabs from the mixture and place them directly on the skewers.
- Can be made up to a day in advance.
- When the coals are ashen, grill the kebabs for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally, until cooked through.
- Look for grease spots in the skewers.
- While the skewers are cooking, mix all the yogurt ingredients together.
- Sprinkle skewers and yogurt with coriander.
- Serve the kebabs with extra harissa and warm flatbreads.
Equipment and tools
- Grill or grill
- mixing bowl
- cutting board
This recipe contains the following allergens:
- Dairy products (Greek yogurt)
Storage and leftovers
Store leftover Merguez lamb kebabs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. They last up to 3 days. When ready to eat, reheat in the oven or grill until heated through.
Health Benefits of Merguez Lamb Skewers
Health Benefits of Merguez Lamb Skewers
Merguez lamb kebabs are not only delicious but also offer several health benefits. Packed with aromatic spices and lean ground lamb, these kebabs are a protein-packed meal that can support muscle growth and repair. In addition, they can be a good source of various vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
1. Cumin seeds
The cumin seeds included in this recipe are rich in antioxidants and can help improve digestion. They are known to have antimicrobial properties and can help reduce gas and bloating.
2. Coriander seeds
Coriander seeds have anti-inflammatory properties and can help lower cholesterol levels. They are also a good source of fiber, iron and magnesium.
3. Fennel seeds
Fennel seeds have been used for centuries for their diverse medicinal properties. They are known to aid digestion, reduce inflammation, and can even help you lose weight.
Paprika gives the skewers a special flavor and contains antioxidants such as vitamin C and carotenoids. These compounds may help strengthen the immune system and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Harissa, a North African spice blend, not only improves flavor but may also have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. It contains capsaicin, which is known to provide pain relief and can help you lose weight.
Garlic is considered a superfood due to its numerous health benefits. It contains compounds like allicin, which can boost the immune system, lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Cinnamon not only gives the kebabs a warm and fragrant taste but also provides various health benefits. It can help control blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation and improve heart health.
Merguez lamb skewers are a flavorful and nutritious meal that offers several health benefits. Incorporating these kebabs into your diet will allow you to enjoy the unique flavors while reaping the benefits of the spices and lean lamb meat they contain.